I'm late to the conversation, but thought I'd say that our DS (9, but grade-skipped to 5th) had been going up to 6th for math this fall. We then decided to switch to AOPS PA for more rigor. He has access to a chromebook, which he works on in the back of the classroom when his class does math. While not ideal, given the lack of gifted programming in our district it has been the best solution since 2nd grade. He has enjoyed the pace and challenge.

The past two years I went in and did a "Math Challenge" group for him and students in the grade above him. This worked well and helped him to connect with some academic peers. (They are two years older than he is, but have been very welcoming.)

Last thing, I resonated with what you said about needing to advocate even more for your younger daughter. With DS, teachers have expected me to ask for extra challenge in math. DD has similar >99% math scores, yet when I asked about how she was being challenged in math a teacher replied, "Her handwriting is quite messy for a girl and perhaps she could work on working more neatly." I was stunned, since that had nothing to do with challenging her in math!

Last edited by mama2three; 03/17/17 02:44 PM.