ugh I started typing and it all got a bit grim. I would say though despite doing everything contrary to current wisdom on raising gifted kids, it really would have only taken one person telling me I had potential to make a difference.

If nothing else, be that voice.

Thought I'd a little more after reading some of there others.

Right: pushed very heavily into girl guiding which was great for trying lots of things and like minded friends. Very involved in school and supported my learning through tutors in subjects I was failing (not doing well).

Wrong: mental illness (seems to be a theme on this thread) just basic working class lack of vision. After I got into university I took a major which I loved but I had no one to steer me in the direction of making the most of it. My parents had pretty much decided university was for people who thought they were better than everyone else. Of course they would tell everyone they met about their genius daughter in varsity wink

I was very unsophisticated and basically had no idea about things like honours degrees etc until I was well into the system and by then my self esteem was so low I had gone down the bad boyfriend, drugs route that we all stress will happen if we don't bump up that self worth.

Last edited by Mahagogo5; 10/14/15 02:34 PM.