Agreed.

I agree with Bostonian.
Me, too. IMO, Bostonian has not expressed an extremist view. If others believe his preferred number of AP courses may be too many for their own family... it may still be the optimal number for Bostonian's.

Almost all kids need a little pushing, gifted kids included.
I believe that was the predominant view on a thread which discussed supporting or hothousing.

There is nothing inherently wrong about summer school or prep classes.
A tool, which may be used productively or not.

I do blame the increasing use of extracurricular in college admission.
Some find extracurriculars to be a quick test of whether one is well-rounded and has a balanced life; Others find extracurriculars to be easily padded and/or an indicator of SES.

I think the kids are tired not only because they were taking 5 AP classes, they also need to play on a travel sport team or orchestra, and volunteer and be a leader of whatever organizations. They have no unstructured down time.
Both unstructured time and sleep are important... as is developing a work ethic and one's own interests (internal locus of control). There are many elements to keep in balance, and some may say that the more interests/skills/abilities one is cultivating, the less devastating may be the impact of any one element becoming an epic fail (learning experience).