I agree with Eco. In reference to Indigo’s comment, I was raised working poor. I was not an overindulged whiny brat by any stretch of the imagination. I do have decent priorities, generally! However, when I was thrust into a neighborhood of peers who had so much more than me and seemed to BE so much more than me and who were often comparing (and yes one-upping) each other I got very sucked in… I felt inadequate and it did make me feel depressed. I recognized what was happening and “checked out” as much as I could form that group and formed my own that was much closer to me in income, outlook, etc. and was MUCH happier and back in my right state of mind so to speak … I look back and marvel how inadequate I once felt because I did not have the latest $800 stroller, was the only one who did not have chandelier and the professionally painted mural in the nursery and couldn’t afford the expensive Gymboree mommy and me classes everyone was going to with their 6 month old and shake my head… So, I think it is very easy to lose one’s perspective in that way! Yeah, totally petty. Totally not important to now or before then … but during that time… it can have an effect. My husband (raised much wealthier and more indulged than I) – not even remotely as affected as myself.

However, what is striking to me is that no one is talking about the very blatant reason this particular woman came so close to taking her life! She realized she is a lesbian… And, apparently, she correctly realized her parents and her church/culture/society maybe never accept her true self – her true identity. Her father said he was living to “hand her off to her husband some day” !!! I mean, yikes! Her father has still not accepted her. Living hiding such a thing because your parents will stop loving and accepting you, it’s gonna take a toll – a big one. I am not sure the real message here is about “achievement” as much as it pretends to be. Maybe it’s more about the cost of hiding who one really is, particularly when that real identity is lesbian…