A lot of adults dislike this for reasons that reflect poorly on the adult

I absolutely agree. However, said adults can make it very hard for children in the meantime.

Some people are very careful about where their kids go and what environments they are in. This is not us. I am not one to heavily vet my children's experiences beforehand. I don't hang around, I am not a "class parent" type, and I don't involve myself too much with my kids' classes and experiences. (I find a lot of teachers prefer this anyway.) They go to like 10 different summer camps and most of the time I know not much about those adults at all when I leave my children there in the morning. Therefore, my children encounter a wide range of adult authority figures and need to be able to comply with them and not make them angry. While DD has improved, she is still not a very adult-lovable child due to her intense desire to negotiate and question. In some ways, I love this about her, but in other ways, I think we went a bit astray early on. I don't know that we 100% did her a favor by allowing all this back and forth. Everybody else's MMV, but I think it's one of these things that sometimes becomes more clear as children get older....