When your 8 yo's Christmas project is writing a book about the elements, inspired by Theodore grey. He and DH are attempting to take their own pictures of every element in the periodic table and he writes his own texts and designs the pages using indesign, copying out the relevant chemical in formation from Wikipedia where he needs it. DH, who is a science teacher in high school, takes him in the labs on afternoons and weekends to photograph the more arcane elements (and I get the cutest pictures of DS in a lab coat and goggles earnestly handling sodium or something with tongs). They have decided that they will have to include drawings of the elements even DH is unwilling or unable to procure (some of the more radioactive stuff will have to wait) to have it ready for Christmas to give copies to the grandparents. He will come running into our bedroom in the mornings while I am still bleary eyed, sipping my tea, and yell excitedly that indium will have to be blue because he just found out the name is derived not from India but the colour indigo and I'm like uhhh yeah, did you change out of your pjs yet!

Last edited by Tigerle; 11/18/14 12:15 AM.