Ditto on being excited for them - any a-ha! discovery in a person's life is cause for celebration smile

At Tae Kwon Do last week some of the moms were asking me about Life of Fred and maths books (they are all customers by now of course)... The one mom leans over consiratorially and tells me that she thinks her son is a "bit of a maths genius". He is now 6, started 1st grade in January and somehow knows that 4 + 5 = 9.. "without using his fingers!! Isn't that amazing? How can I nurture this incredible talent?"

I really did not know how to answer, because my 3 year old can do that... So I did exactly as suggested above and got excited over her child realising that numbers can work together even without a concrete counting tool.

Unfortunately then my 5 year old ran up for his water break and said that he got distracted in class because he was trying to work out how to multiply big numbers by 5 like his big brother does, and that he knows he has to halve it somewhere but can't remember where.

Want to talk about an awkward silence filling the space...

Mom to 3 gorgeous boys: Aiden (8), Nathan (7) and Dylan (4)