Originally Posted by Val
Again, if your kids aren't in school yet, you probably haven't plumbed the depths of how bad our math education system truly is. It's kind of hard to believe it when you haven't witnessed it. I have a 13-year-old, and I'm still discovering new layers of horror below the ones I've already found. Just when you think they've hit rock bottom, someone comes along with something insane and you discover a whole new system of caverns of badness.

YES.

frown

I know that plenty of members here thought it was crazy that my DD (a high school senior and prospective math major) was NOT going to take AP Calculus prior to leaving high school.

However-- many of those same people have not yet seen the how-low-can-you-go Limbo game that has become math instruction in K-12.

No teacher, because that would "interfere" with Pearson's
"optimized" delivery of "content."

Teaching not for understanding, but to the AP test.

Yeah, no thanks. Most of my friends still in STEM in higher ed support our decision and applaud it, in fact-- because they see too many kids who "aced" calculus in high school AP classes, but who don't really understand the math.

I want my daughter to learn calculus from someone with a firm grip on advanced mathematics, and from a person who isn't relying on a SCRIPT to deliver instruction. She'll wait and take it as a college freshman. You only learn calculus the first time once. Why not do it RIGHT rather than doing it "right now?"

Last edited by HowlerKarma; 11/22/13 02:10 PM. Reason: to add info about high school calculus

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.