Oh, I really, REALLY hate to be the one to stomp all over your safe little GT denial! BTDT, and coming out of the comfort of that denial into the cold light of reality is no fun!

But let me reassure you that you are SO MUCH FURTHER AHEAD than I was! When DS6 was 2.5yo, I was nowhere near realizing what was up with him. I thought he was "just" MG and would be easy to guide through school. But knowing what you're in for is really half the battle. You can be prepared. I wasn't. Honest, you're doing great, mamabird! laugh (And you, too, Catherine!)

My best advice is to talk to the school a LOT! Ask a lot of questions and listen hard for what they're not saying. Visit the school more than once. Don't accept the pat answers that all schools like to give out.

Once you've developed a good repoire with the school, bring up the verboten topic of GTness in a vague way. Ask if they have had kids who are well ahead of their curriculum in the past and can you talk to the parents of those kids. Don't start here, and only introduce the word GT to the discussion when you've found out all else that you need to know, since many educators brand you as "one of those parents" and tune you out immediately when you say the word GT. Sad, but true.

I did really none of these things, and it's why we had the trouble we had with pre-K. DS6 still enjoyed preschool, so it's not like it was a total loss. It was mostly social for him, and that was useful. But I wish I had come out of my GT denial earlier, and I wish that someone had given me the advice I just gave you.

You two are doing great! Don't let my gentle cautions worry you. laugh

Kriston