This is a public school? If so, you need the book From Emotions to Advocacy, which explains your child's rights and how to protect them.

Originally Posted by moomin
Another meeting. This time I was told that my daughter has pinched another student and is being flagged as a safety risk. One more incident and she will be asked to leave her school until her, "issues have been addressed."

If your state doesn't require preschool, I believe they can legally remove your child because of behavior such as this. If preschool is required, and it's a public school, they probably can't.

Meanwhile, the psychologist has informed us that there is a, "seven item evaluation" that she does to establish "autism-like symptoms" and that our daughter only has to possess one of the seven characteristics in order to receive a diagnosis.

This is a school psychologist? There is no adequate seven-item test for autism, and school psychologists are not equipped to diagnose any disorder. It is permitted for them to make an educational evaluation, but not a diagnosis. (Did you consent to have her evaluated? I am wondering.)

If your DD were my child, I would not ignore this, because often when schools see a red flag, there really is something going on; but I would take her to the premier expert in my region to rule autism in or out. I wouldn't trust the school psychologist to do this properly, and it seems like a slipshod operation they are running.

She indicated the belief that, untreated, she should not be mainstreamed until her behavior has been addressed, especially as now this pinching incident makes her a physical threat.

That's inappropriate, and it's why you need the book I mentioned. The law protects children with disabilities; they are to be educated in the least restrictive environment in which they can function. If that means your DD needs an aide, they should be doing that for her rather then segregating her from other children. Again, I don't know what the law ensures because it's preschool, but this psychologist is out of line IMO.

DeeDee