My communication skills are not as good as my husband's, my verbally gifted son's, or my daughter's. My daughter uses her gifts in sales and marketing and consistently outperforms coworkers, always winning extra money. I read more than she does. I would probably score higher on a vocabulary test.

I think the reason their communication skills are so much better than mine is because I don't have their gift for improvisation. It is a gift I just don't have. This is what I see as the difference.

I found this on Wikipedia:

"The skills of improvisation can apply to many different abilities or forms of communication and expression across all artistic, scientific, physical, cognitive, academic, and non-academic disciplines. For example, improvisation can make a significant contribution in music, dance, cooking, presenting a speech, sales, personal or romantic relationships, sports, flower arranging, martial arts, psychotherapy, and much more. Techniques of improvisation are widely trained in the entertainment arts; for example, music, theatre and dance. To "extemporize" or "ad lib" is basically the same as improvising. Colloquial terms such as "let's play it by the ear", "take it as it comes", and "make it up as we go along" are all used to describe "improvisation".

The simple act of speaking requires a good deal of improvisation because the mind is addressing its own thought and creating its unrehearsed delivery in words, sounds and gestures, forming unpredictable statements that feed back into the thought process (the performer as listener), creating an enriched process that is not unlike instantaneous composition [with a given set or repertoire of elements]."

I observe, I analyze; it is the applying part that is a problem for me.