Originally Posted by Val
This is just my opinion, but I think it's possible to get so focused on the academics that the very real differences in maturity (especially in high school) get overlooked. I really, really, don't want to put my kids into a position where they feel so outside the norm, they lose perspective and feel like outsiders. They're outside the norm in some ways (learning speed), but not in others (games, toys, height, many age-based activities).
I hope that I am not derailing this too much and I do realize that this quote is old, but it brought to mind something.

I often see here and elsewhere the struggles with finding an appropriate social fit for a child who needs dramatic acceleration with the note that the child is still younger in terms of maturity than his/her intellectual peers.

Do most of you with HG+ kids find that they are mentally/emotionally their chronological age while intellectually much older?

I do have one who is 2e who I'd say is, in terms of maturity, about where I'd expect an 11.5 y/o to be. I don't know if that's due to the 2e aspect or being the youngest child in the family, asynchronisity, or something else.

On the other hand, my older dd is emotionally much older than her age. She will be starting 10th grade a bit before her 14th bd in the fall, which is young, but not radical to the extent that some of you mention. However, she seems much more mature than her grade mates even though many of them are around 18 months or more older. People usually assume that she is 16 or so not b/c she looks old but b/c she seems older when you talk to her.

She is also very mature in terms of making decision about class selections and pretty much everything. I don't think that I was as mature or centered even when I was in college. Am I the only one with a HG+ kid like this?