Wow, this is a tough one.
Right:

Listened to me when I didn't want to skip fifth grade even though in retrospect it probably would have been the right thing to do. I am the fourth kid and had older siblings in college and high school at the time. Having lived with being the youngest in my family, I remember telling my mom that I didn't want to be younger than everyone in HS and college, especially when it came to driving.

Tried to find the most academically challenging high school that fit their beliefs. I attended a college prep Catholic high school. It was a good fit the first couple years but I ran out of stuff to do before the end of HS.

Allowed me to go to the Ivy that was my first choice for college. Dad really wanted me to go to Stanford or Cal and stay relatively close to home. It was the first time in my life that I was "average" -- everyone had high test scores, was valedictorian, was a great athlete or musician, etc. I struggled with my definition of myself. I had a horrible first semester. Socially, I felt completely out of place with East Coast kids who came from a completely different and often elitist culture. Since it was the place that I chose, I couldn't blame anyone else and was motivated to find my way in this new place.

Offered me love, acceptance and encouragement when I told them that I wanted to quit my chosen profession in my late twenties.

Wrong:
Defined me by my achievements.
Fed the perfectionism beast in so many ways.