What they did right: A stable, loving home where I knew my intelligence was valued. High expectations (starting with college).

Where they did as well as could be at the time/location: got me two grade skips. There were no other options for GT. For all of you pining after that chance for a skip... I don't regret mine (it would probably have been worse without), but ended up completely disconnected socially and still not challenged academically.

Where they dropped the ball: lowered expectations slightly after second skip straight into middle school, when I brought a few Bs home. I think they assumed I had reached the right level of challenge. I was figuring out that hey, I didn't actually need to work to get A-/B+ and nobody seemed upset that I wasn't getting all A+ anymore. I spent the next 4 years reading under my desk, never acquired proper study habits and hit the wall in college (graduated from an OK school, but could have done better, I think).

Talking with my mother, they did consider the one GT school then available in the country, and decided family balance (I have many siblings) was more important. I don't disagree with that decision. Today (yeah internet!), things would be very different. Thirty years ago...