When I was in second grade, my parents bought me some 3rd grade math workbooks. My dad also bought a few educational games for our Intellivision II, such as chess and bomb squad. After I beat my dad in chess at the age of 11, he bought me a book about chess that I couldn't understand on my own. I think that's the extent of cultivation I got from my parents.

When I scored in the 99th percentile on the Stanford Achievement Test in 1st grade math, my mom told me that it meant that out of 100 randomly selected 1st graders, one would probably test better than me. She also decided to put me in the regular 2nd grade class rather than the mixed 2/3 like I had requested. (Where I would have been able to do math with the 3rd graders.) So instead I spent the year trying to answer the teacher's math questions before she could figure out the correct answer, and usually succeeded (as far as I know... maybe she wasn't really trying... I slowed down to let her win occasionally, and she celebrated her victories. Either way, I played a game with the teacher that none of the other students could play, but nothing came of it.)

My parents never requested any accommodation from the (public) school. My parents never attended a parent-teacher conference on my behalf AFAIK. My dad told me recently that he thought the school would automatically accommodate my abilities, without him having to request anything.

In my opinion, a lot more than that should be done.