Okay, I think I have developed a passable strategy. I'm going to try really hard not to cry, because that just strikes me as manipulative. (This is not a statement about any of you who have done so - but coming from me it would be fake and obvious). The plan is to lay out all the facts, explain the emotional and cognitive toll it is taking on my son, and move from there. But I plan to be prepared for anything. I'll be taking samples of his writing and math that he does at home, as well as a copy of the curriculum for North Carolina, clearly marked to show what he knows and what he doesn't. (He already knows about 80% of what he will be learning in third grade next year - that worries me as well). I would also like to take copies of some research showing the benefits of challenging a kid. I tried to find the "What kids don't learn" article - one of the links sent me to the Gatton academy site, but I didn't see the article. The other links didn't work at all. If anyone could help me find that article, I'd appreciate it. I realized today that I still have an account that allows me to do research at the library where I attended college, so I will be looking up reliable articles to add to the mix. If anyone has other suggestions for supporting research, I'll be glad to hear them. I don't know if I will be able to use any of these or not - but I want to be prepared for anything. If I don't get a response, I'll call a meeting with the whole school if I have to.
I may be a bit overzealous today. Watching how my son eats up any new knowledge has me all motivated - it's heartbreaking that he has such potential and doesn't get to use it. Hopefully I will get somewhere this time.