Originally Posted by Michelle6
I mentioned in another thread that I'm hesitant to get his IQ tested, because after I did that as a kid it was used as an excuse to not teach me anything ("I've seen your IQ - there is no reason why you shouldn't be able to do this").

I think that they wouldn't have done anything for you with or without the IQ scores...they only will if they will.
On the other hand, I'm starting to think that if I don't get his IQ tested, the school will never acknowledge that this is a real problem for him. So I'm kind of stuck on that one.

It might help, especially with an achievement test, and the Iowa acceleration manual. Lots has changed, but some hasn't. Can he go to 4th grade math? Independent study instead of the regular work.
He works on more difficult work at home - per his own request - and does very well on it. He has a notebook in which he keeps all of his work - should I take that with me?
yes - and cry if you feel the tears welling up, about how he feels that the teacher is losing confidence in him, and he's losing confidence in himself. It is really sad. If you can make yourself vulnerable enough to cry, then won't see you as a screaming attacker. You are just a mom with a problem that they can help solve.
Best Wishes,
Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com