Christine-

Your DD sounds exactly like mine! She goes to the nurse all the time and it never occurred to me that it could be related. They had her in regular math all of last year. Her teacher kept recommending her for advanced but the advanced teacher wouldn't allow it because "she will never catch up." This year we finally got the school to move her to advanced (after a month of being bored stiff and having her grades drop in regular) and she caught up immediately. All we had to do was demonstrate each concept once and she got it. Now it's better, but we're still not sure she's in the right place.

I just learned this week that the "advanced" books they are doing in her reading group are all books that she read on her own last year. When she told her teacher, the response was "Just don't give away the answers to the other kids." In the meantime, she is getting in trouble for daydreaming through the book discussions.

Homeschooling is very appealing, but my husband is not on that page. He is a public school teacher and is very much on the page of working within the system to try to make it better for DD. I agree that we should try that first, but I'm not convinced it will really help.

Thanks for the suggestion of having DD speak up for herself. We had actually practiced some scenarios with her last night so that she could do exactly that.

I really appreciate the support! I hope all is well with you DD, too.

-Happy Reader