I would definitely want to know why she didn't qualify for GT. Although, DD was "pre-tested" by the Guidance Counselor in 2nd Grade. She didn't get a high enough score to automatically get the full evaluation. I could have pushed it but decided to give it another year. We had homeschooled her until 1/2 way though 2nd grade.

The ironic part is that I had asked if they would allow her to start school early as she knew the K stuff way early and they had said no. I actually think it may have given her a fighting chance to last a little longer in school but maybe not.

Hubby wasn't thrilled about going back to homeschooling but when the pull out program definitely wasn't going to be enough and they said there really isn't anything else we can give her... he jumped on board. He was tired of seeing her so darn miserable and unhappy which was completely stressing me out.

Homeschooling her, I always thought she was being difficult b/c she wouldn't re-read stuff but I now know in 99.9% of the cases, she's got the concept and everything after one quick explanation. I don't understand why in heaven's name they would make a child who can read at an 8th grade level read early 3rd grade stuff and expect them to be happy about it.

The BEST quote I heard when we were in the midst of this was something like, "Just as you wouldn't throw a non-swimmer into a pool and expect them to keep up with the olympic athlete, it is just as cruel to keep the olympic swimmer in the shallow end until all of the other swimmers are at their level."
I'm sure I'm off a word or two but it really helped me see things differently.

I will warn you, that my DD got so much worse once she opened up to me. She is very black and white and when everyone understood that she wanted more challenging stuff and could handle it but said NO... she became even more unhappy. We had a few good days after when she talked to the counselor and they would change a few things. It would buy us a day or two of good days but then right back to the stomach issues and anxiety.

Dude is right - her ideas being different does say GIFTED.

Blessings and best of luck. Take deep breaths in those tough moments. Don't burn bridges but you definitely fight for what your daughter needs.

~ Christine smile
Homeschooling DD in PA