Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this forum but have been reading for a while. I'm trying to figure out what to do about my DD8. Our school has a very limited GT program. They accepted 5 students into to it out of 140 in her grade. They did not accept my DD due to her CogAT score, which was not in the 99th percentile. The GT teacher says it wasn't due to her score, but she also showed me the evaluation and DD met the criteria in every other category-- classroom teacher recommendations, parent observations, writing/work samples. So I'm left to conclude that it was her CogAT score.

In the meantime, I know that DD is a very inconsistent tester. She daydreams a lot. She used to love going to school but now complains that it is boring. She has read every book in her classroom and her most recent SRI score was 1108, so I know she is a strong reader. Her teacher says she does not participate in class. When I ask her about it, she says her ideas are so different from the other kids that she is afraid to share them. At home, she is curious about everything and would rather do "learning" activities than play like the other kids. She is also an old soul-- very intuitive and mature for her age.

DH and I struggling with what to do next. I believe she needs more, but I am also conscious that every parent thinks their kid is the most talented in the world. How do I know whether to push this or leave it alone? Do I have a realistic view of my child's strengths? The school is not much help. I feel like the GT teacher doesn't want to talk to us and views us as delusional.

How do you know when it's time to push and when it's time to leave it alone?