Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
deleted
Before you flee this district, take a look at what is ahead in middle and high school. I personally think that our elementary schools are not so great, the middle school is okay, and the high school is fairly good. I have yet to see an elementary school that I would consider good. I attended a private school K through 12 - it is at the top of the list each year for average SAT score for our major metropolitan area. I didn't learn much there in elementary, and I am certainly not PG.

My middle kid repeated 2nd grade when we moved her from a private school to public. She was small and immature, and keeping her in 2nd grade put her in the right grade for her birth date (per the public school cutoff). At the private school in 2nd they covered all of the math taught in the public 3rd grade. Was she bored? I'm sure she was but we didn't think much about it at the time. They gave her some extra math sheets to do if she wanted (she didn't want to). I know others will disagree with me, but I don't think we damaged her for life.

Even my eldest thinks elementary math could be compressed into a few years, and math is her weakest subject. While you should keep after the school to deliver whatever they promised, I wouldn't expect a lot. Math differentiation typically gets better in middle school, and many districts will bus the most advanced 5th grade math students to the accelerated middle school math program (so they end up being three years accelerated in math).

MAP tests don't reveal a lot about advanced kids. They started them a few years ago in our district and my middle kid took them in 8th. They use them to track growth, and I wouldn't put a lot of faith in the results. They gave my 8th grader a graduate student lexile level - umm, I don't think she is ready to read anything that advanced (nor would she want to).

I know folks will rip me apart, but provide learning opportunities at home (if she wants them) and continue to advocate for her. If she is happy at school and has friends there, I would avoid switching schools unless your HS is miserable.
I would think 6 weeks is plenty of time. I thought 2 weeks was plenty before I started making waves about my son and his math and then it took 2 more weeks and the final solution was just skip him to the next grade. I am not quite sure how that is going other than his writing needs improvement (but would probably be fine if he were still in 3rd) so he is going to need a bit of extra tutoring in that. I assume his Spanish is just fair too because he lost out on a year of that and he has no Spanish speaking relatives. I will know more in a couple of weeks at the conference night. I assume now there isn't a need for much differentiation right at the beginning of a skip but there possibly might need some as the year goes on (especially in Math and Reading in English).
Differentiation is a distinction without a difference.
My son's teacher knew last week that my son has a high IQ and he is way above his kinder classmates. I even emailed her the skills that my son has so she can differentiate during centers time. I put him in the dual language class and right now the two teachers (spanish and english) agreed to put my son more in the spanish class. During centers, he is also doing more writing and spelling(his weakness). As of math, I don't see any differentiation yet. We'll see in the next few weeks. Just keep in touch with your child's teacher and show her that you are willing to support. Teachers sometimes are overwhelmed with lots of things most especially when they have such high students in the class.
deleted
Originally Posted by blackcat
I'm not sure what is even normal or typical in terms of differentiation (esp. for math) and what I should be looking for.
Unfortunately what you have described is normal, forums are filled with experiences like this. Damage to kids, after several years of this type of school experience are also frequent topics of conversation. Welcome to the club.

What to look for? Examples of what others have said worked, and opportunities to present those suggestions at your school for the benefit of ALL children. Be solution focused. Volunteering may be part of the overall game plan as parent volunteers seem to be readily accepted at your school. Your greatest asset and allies may be the other parents who are volunteering; bond with these people.

Many families afterschool their kids, others homeschool. Keep nurturing your child's strengths, create a portfolio. Some have found the book and materials by Karen Rogers to be helpful (link- http://www.greatpotentialpress.com/authors/karen-b-rogers-ph-d)

Know that you are not alone. You may wish to become knowledgeable about differentiation by reading the collection of articles on the Davidson Database (http://www.davidsongifted.org), search for differentiation shows 140 resources.

If you consider other schools, you may wish to bring things like test scores, portfolio, and completed interest inventory forms (available at link above). You may wish to
- ask about their philosophy regarding gifted pupils,
- plan to meet the person responsible for coordinating/overseeing the education of gifted pupils,
- learn about the gifted coordinator's background and experience as well as their credentials,
- read any policy and practice statements,
- observe their "gifted program",
- ask if there are regularly scheduled meetings for parents of gifted pupils,
- learn what the school's volunteer policy is,
- inquire as to what books they recommend for parents of gifted children,
- see whether you can meet other parents of gifted children who might be willing to share their experiences,
- attend a school board meeting and read about issues facing the educational institution,
- receive a written plan which documents what your child/ren will receive & goals of these experiences.

Before exploring other schools, as practice, you may wish to ensure you have taken similar steps at your present school.
Well, I can tell you our experience so far. DS is in 2nd grade.

There seemed to be no differentiation in first grade. DS really wanted to learn more math and mid-year said he hated math class because he was so bored. DS tried to work ahead in math to alleviate boredom and would get in trouble. At one point, he was being made to re-write his reversed letters when he got finished early in math (he's dysgraphic and has EDS which writing hurts his hands and fingers), which was really bad b/c he felt punished for mastering the concept quickly. He started feigning sickness to get of school and particularly math class. When I repeatedly approached the teacher about this and eventually the iep team, I was told they do "differentiate" but teacher kept finding reasons that DS didn't really need differentiation, that he really wasn't advanced, etc. Her main point during an iep meeting was that DS is competent in math and his 100% on tests proved she was teaching him not that he was ready for more difficult work. Her main theory was that DS "needs/wants to feel special" and "feel advanced" and if we just give the same on-level work and tell him it's more advanced that makes him happy (despite her thinking this was the case she was not actually fooling DS at all, he was on to her completely but didn't want to hurt or feelings or be disrespectful). She said he was bored because he has ADHD not b/c he truly bored with the math material. Worse - the principal piped up that they had a 1st grade child once who could trigonometry (or something like that) and that *that* was advanced - and *that* not my child (he said they did differentiate for that child). He said otherwise they do not group ability in math until third grade. I realized that the "poof is in the pudding" approach would get us nowhere and meanwhile my kid's achievement was staying solidly average, he was bored and depressed and was conflicted in that he felt capable of more and teachers kept telling him he wasn't. Not sure how much of a school mindset it is/was, if there really is intent to keep kids the same or if teacher really believed that DS didn't need more but I made enough of a fuss that she did set up a "math center" allowed DS and others to participate in that when they finished early in math (which was like all of the time). DS loved it - he and some other boys who were really interested in math would get together and pick a topic to work on (multiplication, division, square roots, etc). DS learned a lot believe it or not and started teaching himself stuff at home on the computer as well. I also started him on mathnasium because I walked away from that iep realizing that school and teacher were adamant about creating a ceiling for DS and keeping him at all costs at a certain level. He really wanted to learn more and I couldn't help him. He lOVES mathnasium.

Within a matter of a few months DS went from 60% in math on WJ-III to 95%.

Now in second grade things are looking up. DS took a pre-test and qualified for a math differentiation group that pulls kids out twice a week for special differentiated math instruction. It only just started (one meeting) but DS is optimistic and likes it. His WISC-IV score quailified for ATP but he only starts on Wednesday so we do not know how it is yet.

Pull-outs for differentiation and even remediation JUST started at our school. How "good" the differentiation will be - I do not know yet.

For instance, do I have reason to be annoyed by the fact that the kids aren't given work at their level or is that fairly standard?
Both are true: while this is fairly standard, the students needing advanced academics often remain underserved, therefore parents may be "annoyed". When annoyed, put the energy to good use by joining with others interested in problem solving to make a positive difference in the educational experiences for gifted/advanced kids.

Families may often encourage each other with the well-known saying ... "If you are not part of the solution, you are part of the problem."
Here are some interesting tidbits about our school. I am not sure what they mean but I find them a bit odd:

I was told that ATP program doesn't start until 3rd grade... and yet there is one for second grade. I was also not told about the differentiation math group at the end of last year when we specifically asked if there would be a test and resultant grouping in 2nd grade math. We were told that there is NO ability grouping in 2nd grade for math (and if my kid really was "so advanced that he was doing trig" then the teacher would "differentiate" somehow). I had no idea the group existed, that DS was given a test for it or was even being considered for it until teacher called to say he was in it. And it is grade-wide pull-out (all the kids from 2nd grade classes were tested for it and the ones who passed are in the group together, pulled out to a different classroom with a special math teacher). I am almost positive other parents do not even know now that their child was tested for this and that the group exists. I am not sure if it is "new" and that's why we weren't told last year or if they purposely keep it on the QT. I'm suspicious b/c a neighbor a few years ago (when I only had my oldest and he was like 3 or 4) once described the school as having a "don't ask/don't tell" philosophy ... In her case, her child was struggling and she felt she wasn't told about it or that it was a bad as it was. She felt you had to know the specific questions to ask to really find out about anything.
deleted
deleted
Has anyone considered just not having their child do the homework that comes home? Dh is suggesting that we buy DS a singapore math workbook and have him do that instead and send it into school rather than the regular math homework.
First grade at our elementary, DS is 6. It's considered the best (public) elementary in a 40 mile radius.

Reading: 3 ability groups. Two of three are above basic benchmarks for grade, the lowest group is easily on grade level but not above. The top group is mostly not reading real chapter books and they are still mostly monotone readers that stumble fairly often. In addition there is a once a week pullout, it is kept quiet, a couple kids from each class are in it and we were not even informed when DS started it.

Even in the "gifted" reading pullout a couple of the kids have maybe a 3rd grade or so reading level, ie they are still learning to read. Others do have a higher skill level. It's a more relaxed atmosphere than the regular class and DS liked it better than regular class. It is short in terms of time, maybe 30 minutes.

Spelling is a ability grouped into 3 groups, none higher than 2nd grade. They label this "individually differentiated".

Math: 3 ability groups. Top group is called "gifted" but consists of entire 1/3rd of the class. Some kids in it struggle with 1st grade concepts. They do pretests for every section. But I don't know yet what that leads to if anything, so far it doesn't seem to lead to differentiation. They call this group "accelerated" because in our state they legally have to offer acceleration. However acceleration means doing the 1st grade concepts in a bit less time than the other groups. In the leftover time they do something enriching - that DS did not enjoy, he said it was just more of the same.

I believe some years they form an additional math pullout. But I think that wouldn't have happened yet as they just started the ability groups. My guess is they do not do a pullout unless parents pressure them. We have not said anything yet because it's becoming clear to me the problem is not solvable with any 30 minutes a week solution.

I believe from the teacher's and school's perspective this point in the year is considered just the very beginning and they are only just now getting kids who need remediation set up with extra help. I would guess in a few weeks once that is more settled they might be more open to discussing accommodations for high achievers/gifted.

Reading the district policy guide ahead of time I was lulled into a false sense of security by the terms "differentiation", "acceleration", etc. But the reality here is that differentiation or acceleration only has to be "significant". The meaning of that latter word is pretty much whatever you want it to be if you are a school official.

DSs elementary I consider now from his experience to have ability grouping but not a gifted program, despite the school's terminology.

While the school's definition of gifted is not a good solution for DS, I think the school and almost every other parent is extremely happy with it. So it meets the needs of the widest range of families possible. I can't fault the school for it. I just wish they had some system for identifying students that are not served by it.

I find it all intensely discouraging. DS is busy cementing his impression of school as a complete waste of time. And not just empty of interesting content but actively frustrating because he writes poorly and writing is perfused through the day.

We are going to suggest some more unusual sorts of solutions to his teacher and if she won't do anything then we'll have to homeschool. The current situation is reasonable to just endure for a month or two, with lots of sick days etc, but not for a year.

But before we can work with the teacher we have a lot of groundwork to do first. We need to carefully set it up so she has trouble saying no. If I would stop posting here and instead use my time to do a DYS application maybe that would give DS some more forward movement too.

There is actually a gifted chapter in our district--I have been to a couple meetings, and one involved the school administration.
This sounds good.

The district is very proud of itself for having a gifted program but fails to realize that these cluster groups in grades 3-6 simply do not work.
What might work? This may be an area to brainstorm... possibly with other parents... possibly your children and others may have suggestions as well.

And that there are no options for younger grades other than acceleration.
Commonly related to IQ stabilizing at a certain age... but yes, gifted kids may already be learning noticeably more quickly than age peers, even as toddlers.

They seem to realize there are concerns but it takes years for them to do anything or get their act together.
Sharing what is working elsewhere may help them avoid "reinventing the wheel".

They also have another program for 4th to 6th grade, but in our huge district of thousands of kids, only about 25 or 30 kids per grade are accepted.
Doing the math, if there are 3,000 and 30 are accepted, that program may be designed for the top 1%, one student in 100.

It's a school within a school type program (for highly gifted) and kids end up skipping a couple years of math.
Accelerated math...

That would be ideal for DS if he can hang in there a few more years,
He is a mathy kid...

but he is not strong in verbal ability only non-verbal and to qualify for that program you need to be strong in everything.
Then actually the program would not be ideal for DS. Or some may say it would be ideal for him, but he would not be ideal for it... he and others with the same relative strengths (but not globally gifted) may hold back the students who are. Unrequited love... painful.

The district superintendent actually wants to open another GATE school so that more kids can be served, but with huge budget issues in the district, that's unlikely to happen anytime soon.
Not understanding this as a budget issue as it is not adding seats but rather repurposing a number of seats from general ed to gifted ed. This may be something to ask about and rally other parents behind.

The focus is definitely on the higher level grades, not elementary. It sounds like the high school program has a lot more opportunities. It's a highly rated high school and very large. So there are lots of AP classes or classes to get college credit. But that is a long way away.
These classes are advanced academics and may be something to look forward to, but are not a panacea as they may not provide the appropriate pacing for a gifted kid.

The gifted chapter leaders are trying to advocate but part of the problem is that the district is in a huge financial mess at the moment. If the next voter levy does not pass it will have to chop about 15 percent of the budget. It will be bad--kids will lose transportation, music, go down to a 4-day school week.
Yes, because our national economy is slow, fewer are employed and property values in many areas are falling, therefore less income tax and property is being collected from families, and as a result the government has less taxpayer money to redistribute. The national debt is growing, to be paid by our children and grandchildren: There is an expression "Robbing Peter to pay Paul". The gifted chapter leaders may wish to brainstorm on ways to educate children within a smaller budget, and the parent volunteerism you mentioned earlier may be part of the solution. What is working in other areas? You may wish to research this, including resources on the Davidson database (for example, a search for "budget" revealed 146 articles, and a search for "urban" revealed 72 articles on Urban Education).

My DD's 3rd grade class already has 26 kids but it will go up over 30.
While not ideal, some students have been well-educated in classes as large as 60. It takes a strong internal desire and will to learn. Parents can help encourage that at home.

So the crumbling budget is all they can think about right now.
Yes, part of their job is to remain fiscally solvent.

I applied for open enrollment to the next district over for next year. It is "rich" and does not have these issues,
You may wish to verify this, not by reputation, but by attending their board meetings & budget meetings, reading their website and also vetting their gifted program for "fit" as outlined in a previous post. Sometimes families find that districts are identical in their gifted programs; one with a larger budget may allocate more financial resources into sports, teacher salaries & benefits, buildings, etc... not into the gifted program. Meanwhile parents may be afterschooling and providing weekend and summer enrichment classes. If qualification for the gifted program is not an absolute cut score, but relative to the population, children not receiving afterschooling and outside classes may not qualify; while their IQ score may be high, their achievement may not keep pace with peers who've had more experiences. Be on the lookout for quality experiences on a shoestring budget, including opportunities to socialize with other gifted kids... they DO learn so much from each other. Network and bond with other local parents of gifted kids.

And I still need to tour the schools and talk to the district gifted coordinator there. I can use ideas from these forums in terms of what to ask, so thank you for that.
Hopefully not just what to ask... but also how to prepare... what to observe... what to offer.
Absolutely Blackcat, homework is our responsibility to accommodate, it is not in the school setting so they have no way to assess it. Without assessment they have no leg to stand on to make demands. Don't ask what's okay, just do what you are comfortable with.

A common recommendation I see both here and elsewhere on-line is to replace homework sheets with something appropriate. Ie extension topic math instead of 2+2. It's suggested to send in a very short note with the first returned homework. Something like, "Dear teacher, we will be substituting extension homework of a level commensurate with DSs preparation for topics that DS has mastered" or something like that. Usually seems to go over fine. What the bright kid does at home is the least of their worries. Just one note at the beginning of the year.

My note also said, "As you know, DS has a fine motor impairment. We will be scribing his homework for him so that he can finish his homework in a reasonable amount of time."

In addition I cut homework time off at a certain time with which I'm comfortable, homework in 1st grade in my mind takes 10-15 min max unless it's outright fun. If not finished simply attach a note that says, "DS worked for a reasonable time with excellent effort on this homework and clearly understands the concepts. I asked him to stop at question X".

I have also seen people send in notes saying, "DS is still adjusting to the school day and we will have him begin doing homework when we feel he is ready for it". Or "and we will have him begin submitting homework assignments after Xmas break".

I think especially in 1st grade it is difficult for a teacher to argue, there's enough of a controversy over whether any homework is acceptable in 1st grade that the teacher hopefully will just be relieved your note doesn't say he won't do any homework for a year.
deleted
Let me start by saying that I know we are very lucky. Our elementary gifted program is outstanding. That said, Kindergarten and first grade still only had ability grouping for reading in the regular classroom. Second grade added pullouts for reading and math a few times per week for those that tested into the gifted program via multiple ability and achievement tests (>98%). Kids can be accepted to just math or just reading. They don't have to qualify in all subjects but do get to participate in all subjects.

Third grade is when the fun begins with a separate gifted math class pullout daily. Our teacher is wonderful and he is the teacher of record for math and provides grades for report cards. 3rd also included more frequent reading pullouts and a special project class for additional differentiation. DD9 in 4th gets even better and we have daily reading, math. By 5th, the gifted teacher teaches all subjects and provides all grades with the exception of science.

He also facilitates after school chess and robotics classes. There are two additional gifted teachers but this one is a true gift to his students.

Great public elementary schools for gifted students do exist. Perfection? No.

Differentiation in the regular classes (social studies, science, writing in 4th) is still pretty much "help the struggling kids when you finish your work". But reading the stories on this site from some people help keep me grateful for what we do have.
... says on their website that they have kids work at their own pace in math and reading, they are continually assessed, and they are in leveled groups, going to a different grade classroom if necessary. This sounds ideal but I of course have to verify that it really happens that way. The one parent I talked to says that it does but her son is only in first grade.
You may wish to learn whether this is provided to the whole student body, or if this is considered a program for the advanced academic achievers or gifted... if so, what are the qualifying criteria?

You may also wish to learn whether this is a teacher-led program, independent learning, teacher as a guide-on-the-side, an online program, or a hybrid combination.

When individualized pacing with continuous assessment is provided for an entire school population, it may be facilitated by means of an online program which is continuously assessing student work and assigning easier or more challenging work. I believe Compass Learning / Odyssey is one such product.

You are wise to realize that something touted on a school's website may exist for only selected grades within the school. Take notes and clarify what they say by feeding it back in your own words as a question (active listening). This can often prevent potential misunderstandings... eliminating occurrences of "what they said" being different than "what I heard".
Originally Posted by Irena
... grade-wide pull-out (all the kids from 2nd grade classes were tested for it and the ones who passed are in the group together, pulled out to a different classroom with a special math teacher). I am almost positive other parents do not even know now that their child was tested for this and that the group exists...
Some may complain of the lack of transparency, while others may value it as necessary to preclude wealthier families "prepping" a student for the qualification evaluation... therefore they may see this as the most fair, equal, equitable way to provide access to advanced academics for those students most in need of it. Getting to know the families of other students in the same cluster group of readiness and ability may prove valuable over the years.

... Or parents complain. How come child X is in this program by MY kid is not...
Unfortunately, yes, parents can sometimes be the worst saboteurs of an attempt by a teacher/school/program to serve the varied needs of vastly different gifted kids (mathy, global, etc)
deleted
Originally Posted by indigo
... says on their website that they have kids work at their own pace in math and reading, they are continually assessed, and they are in leveled groups, going to a different grade classroom if necessary. This sounds ideal but I of course have to verify that it really happens that way. The one parent I talked to says that it does but her son is only in first grade.
You may wish to learn whether this is provided to the whole student body, or if this is considered a program for the advanced academic achievers or gifted... if so, what are the qualifying criteria?

You may also wish to learn whether this is a teacher-led program, independent learning, teacher as a guide-on-the-side, an online program, or a hybrid combination.

When individualized pacing with continuous assessment is provided for an entire school population, it may be facilitated by means of an online program which is continuously assessing student work and assigning easier or more challenging work. I believe Compass Learning / Odyssey is one such product.

You are wise to realize that something touted on a school's website may exist for only selected grades within the school. Take notes and clarify what they say by feeding it back in your own words as a question (active listening). This can often prevent potential misunderstandings... eliminating occurrences of "what they said" being different than "what I heard".

I will definitely ask for details about how it works. From what the other mom was telling me, for reading at least, they take a test after each lesson and if they pass, they move on. If they don't, then they keep working at that level. But then she also talked about the gifted program starting in second grade, so how is that different and who qualifies?
I will definitely ask for details about how it works. From what the other mom was telling me, for reading at least, they take a test after each lesson and if they pass, they move on.If they don't, then they keep working at that level.

This sounds like differentiation and independent learning. You may wish to find out if it is computer based.

But then she also talked about the gifted program starting in second grade, so how is that different and who qualifies?
Those will be great questions to ask. Some might say that ideally there would be a cluster grouping for various levels of readiness and ability in math... with a separate flexible cluster grouping for various levels of readiness and ability in reading/language arts... science... and each different subject taught... scaling up/down possibly by cluster grouping with kids in different grade levels.
From what I gathered at the gifted chapter meeting I attended I'm pretty sure some families are prepping their kids for the CogAt. When I talked to various people about DD not finishing the test they started giving details about the test and one mom mentioned practice tests online. So the 1 percent of kids who are actually going to GATE may not even be "gifted", they just had parents who prepped them for the test. There are very rigid cut-offs. Kids have to have a composite score of 139 or 132 with 98-99 percent in reading AND math.

This actually makes me wonder if you are in my school district, because you have described it so exactly. Our district will not accept a "real" IQ test - they only want the CogAT. I would certainly check with yours before you spend any money on testing.
... CogAt... practice tests online. So the 1 percent of kids who are actually going to GATE may not even be "gifted", they just had parents who prepped them for the test.
Yes and no. Free practice tests online, offered by the testing company, are generally considered becoming acquainted with the test and are not considered prep or gaming the system; Those terms are often reserved for purchased prep materials from the testing company, and those available from other parties, respectively. Individuals most often aware of free practice tests online may be those who are educators, have an older child in the system, volunteer at school, research extensively online, join forums, and/or socialize with other parents having an older child in the system. Those who may be unaware of practice tests online may be those learning the ropes as they shepherd their first child through the system, those who do not join committees, participate in forums, research online, socialize with other parents, or volunteer in the classroom.

There are very rigid cut-offs. Kids have to have a composite score of 139 or 132 with 98-99 percent in reading AND math.
This sounds like 98th percentile, top 2%.

I'm debating having DD tested independently because of her ADHD and have her take a real IQ test but I'm not sure if the district will even accept that.
They may not, however it may be good for you to have that information at the ready for future.

You may wish to check your school board's policies for any information and guidance which may manage expectations regarding their services for gifted pupils. In some cases parents may find policy and practice statements including qualification information such as whether independent test results are accepted, and under what circumstances.

Here may be the dilemma you might face: If DD's independent test results present what you believe to be a score equivalent to a qualifying score on the school's qualifying exam... the degree of accommodation for her ADHD (if any) on the independent test may be an indicator of the degree of accommodation DD may need on an ongoing basis to participate in the gifted program, in order to not slow the program down and deprive others of their right to a free, appropriate education... if the school accepted the independent test results. This may lead to the question - Have you sought an accommodation from the school for DD's 2e or learning disability?
deleted
When I talked to the school psych, she said she'd give her the Weschler non-verbal ability test. I looked this up and half of the test looks like the processing speed/working memory portions similar to what you'd find on the WISC IV (which I'm familiar with since DS just took it). Unlike the WISC, there would be no way to separate that out and calculate a GAI. So I am left with the dilemma of arguing with the school psych about it, taking her elsewhere and hope they accept the scores, etc.
I think it is a strong positive that the school had next steps and mind and shared with you the exact test they would plan to administer. Very encouraging, they seem to be offering good support and partnering with you. Possibly you may wish to ask the school psych what cut scores she would be looking for on the Welscher, and whether she is able to approximate IQ scores from the results.

Meanwhile Hoagies Gifted Education Page contains a vast collection of information on various tests, maybe you've read these? http://www.hoagiesgifted.org/highly_profoundly.htm, http://www.hoagiesgifted.org/tests.htm
Here is another link with some information about the Welscher which may be of interest http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wechsler_Intelligence_Scale_for_Children
Thanks, I haven't looked at that. I'll check it out. I did talk to an independent school psychologist and she said that the Weschler non-verbal ability test sounds inappropriate and she wouldn't use it on an ADHD kid.
Lending support. Waiting for differentiation in our district, too - I notice from earlier threads that you are having some similar concerns with your DC.

DD8 finally was split into math/reading groups within the last week or so, but curriculum still seems easier than it did during the previous grade. Gifted process for program that is not available until this year is still incomplete - seems to take forever. No accelerated math available until next year. Since there are no textbooks that come home, I have no idea where the curriculum is going - there may be great plans in the works, but I have no good, ol' fashioned textbooks to see what is coming up. wink I am waiting for conferences, where hopefully we'll finally see some current test results and obtain some more information about what is planned.

DS5 loves his kindergarten teacher (because DS is shy - this is big), but is still working on letter sounds and counting at school. Seems there is no differentiation there at all. At home, he is reading chapter books and is working on Singapore Math - next year, he will be in school all day and I will have much less time to enrich him at home. I would really like it if he could do some of this learning at school. I am thrilled that he loves his teacher, though - I really just hope we can come up with a great plan for him at conferences.

Was just talking to sister-in-law who has kids in another district. We are actually lucky. Budget cuts are hurting the gifted programs in some grades. SIL's district just cut the 2nd grade gifted (that her DS would have been in frown ). Her older son, who excels in math, is actually driven to the school that houses the next grade's math program, though (district pays for a taxi!). So it is always interesting to hear what other districts are doing. Some better, some not.

Hoping good things for you this year with your DC...
I did talk to an independent school psychologist and she said that the Weschler non-verbal ability test sounds inappropriate and she wouldn't use it on an ADHD kid.
Not my area of expertise, but as a parent I'd be curious to know if that view is research-based, a widely held opinion, or one professional's personal observation and experience. All may be valid, and there is room for many approaches as all children are unique individuals... as long as the test instrument is appropriate.

Short of learning from the independent psychologist why she did not favor Welscher as an IQ test for a child with ADHD, and what instrument she did prefer, a quick websearch for "welscher adhd" may yield results such as
1) http://www.grcne.com/giftedADHD.html,
2) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wechsler_Intelligence_Scale_for_Children which lists uses and discusses that the Welscher may not accurately Dx ADHD based on differences in scores (was that the school's intent?).
Originally Posted by Loy58
I am waiting for conferences, where hopefully we'll finally see some current test results and obtain some more information about what is planned... I really just hope we can come up with a great plan for him at conferences.
Hope is great, but teachers cannot read minds and may not know what you are expecting or hoping for, unless there is planning and communication. Some districts encourage parents to prepare well for the notoriously brief parent-teacher conferences. The Davidson Database (http://www.davidsongifted.org/) lists several resources for "parent teacher conference", including:
1) http://www.davidsongifted.org/db/Articles_id_10296.aspx
2) http://www.davidsongifted.org/db/Resources_id_12628.aspx
3) http://www.davidsongifted.org/db/Articles_id_10286.aspx
4) http://www.davidsongifted.org/db/Articles_id_10050.aspx
deleted
Lending support. Waiting for differentiation in our district, too - I notice from earlier threads that you are having some similar concerns with your DC.

DD8 finally was split into math/reading groups within the last week or so, but curriculum still seems easier than it did during the previous grade. Gifted process for program that is not available until this year is still incomplete - seems to take forever. No accelerated math available until next year. Since there are no textbooks that come home, I have no idea where the curriculum is going - there may be great plans in the works, but I have no good, ol' fashioned textbooks to see what is coming up. wink I am waiting for conferences, where hopefully we'll finally see some current test results and obtain some more information about what is planned.

DS5 loves his kindergarten teacher (because DS is shy - this is big), but is still working on letter sounds and counting at school. Seems there is no differentiation there at all. At home, he is reading chapter books and is working on Singapore Math - next year, he will be in school all day and I will have much less time to enrich him at home. I would really like it if he could do some of this learning at school. I am thrilled that he loves his teacher, though - I really just hope we can come up with a great plan for him at conferences.

Was just talking to sister-in-law who has kids in another district. We are actually lucky. Budget cuts are hurting the gifted programs in some grades. SIL's district just cut the 2nd grade gifted (that her DS would have been in frown ). Her older son, who excels in math, is actually driven to the school that houses the next grade's math program, though (district pays for a taxi!). So it is always interesting to hear what other districts are doing. Some better, some not.

Hoping good things for you this year with your DC...

Thank you. Strangely, the district isn't really talking about cutting it. I think since they have one of the only GATE programs in the metro area, it attracts students from other districts and they save money getting students from open enrollment/other districts. Meanwhile they are talking about going to 4 day school weeks (sounds like a disaster), cutting busing for most kids, cutting the music program, etc. All the focus for elem. though seems to be on GATE for 4th-6th and the tiny amount of students who qualify. I would be curious as to how many even come from our district and how many are open enrolling from others--probably makes it even more impossible to get in when my kids are competing with kids from other districts.

Both DS's and DD's teachers knew right from the start what they are dealing with, so it's incomprehensible to me that after 6 weeks, there are not even attempts at giving leveled work. When I wrote a very polite email to DS's teacher asking what I can do to help (for instance sending in a workbook), I got a one sentence reply saying she's working on it. DD says that another girl in her class (who is also in the cluster) works ahead in her math workbook and actually gets into trouble! She's expected to help other kids when she's done with her work. Her parents are disgusted as well. I will try to go to the upcoming conferences with an open mind, but don't really expect to hear any detailed plan and don't know how pushy to get.
Just to clear up any misunderstandings, it's not the Weschler IQ test that she's talking about doing, it's the Weschler non-verbal ability test.
Thanks for pointing this out and sharing the link.

I actually just want DD to take the WISC IV and if it turns out she does horrid in terms of working memory and processing speed because of the ADHD, for purposes of gifted identification, they can separate those out and use the GAI.
Interesting. What questions might this bring to mind for a discussion with the school... ? Here are some possibilities, no doubt you will think of better questions as you know your daughter's situation best.
1) Does the school or district accept outside test results? Under what circumstances?
2) If there is special scoring/accommodation for the gifted identification test, would this indicate that accommodation would be needed in the classroom?
3) Can she be identified as 2e/LD to receive accommodation in the classroom?
4) If accommodation is provided due to LD identification, can she keep up with the pace of the gen ed classes? If accommodation is provided due to 2e identification, can she keep up the pace of the gifted classes?
I will try to go to the upcoming conferences with an open mind, but don't really expect to hear any detailed plan and don't know how pushy to get.
Some districts encourage parents to prepare well for the notoriously brief parent-teacher conferences. The Davidson Database (http://www.davidsongifted.org/) lists several resources for "parent teacher conference", including:
4) http://www.davidsongifted.org/db/Articles_id_10050.aspx
These are things I need to ask the current classroom teacher about, then go from there. We switched her meds over the summer and I really don't have the foggiest idea of how she's functioning at school. On day 3 I emailed the teacher (in case we need to adjust the meds) and the teacher said she's doing wonderfully and completing work fast (vs. the last week of school last year the teacher said she was doing horribly and couldn't complete the simplest of things). Whether DD will start to flounder in a GATE program, I don't know, but I imagine at that time we would need to write a 504 and reduce the workload or allow her extra time for assignments or exams. I wouldn't mind getting her a 504 now, but the school wants to see kids already failing before they consider that.
[quote=Loy58] I am waiting for conferences, where hopefully we'll finally see some current test results and obtain some more information about what is planned... I really just hope we can come up with a great plan for him at conferences.
Hope is great, but teachers cannot read minds and may not know what you are expecting or hoping for, unless there is planning and communication. Some districts encourage parents to prepare well for the notoriously brief parent-teacher conferences. The Davidson Database (http://www.davidsongifted.org/) lists several resources for "parent teacher conference", including:

Thanks - sorry, had discussed this in more detail in previous thread with blackcat. We certainly do not expect teachers to be mind readers, but in our district, testing data seems to be slowly and reluctantly shared with parents (4th year in district, and this is my strong impression). In our case, we will probably have little current data about students until we arrive at conferences (DS told us he was assessed in reading, but this has not been shared with us by the school. For DD, fall NWEA scores and a myriad of other end of last year, beginning of this year assessments have still not been shared with parents - I would love to have had these well before conferences), which makes preparation difficult. We have definitely been communicating with the teacher by her preferred method (very brief weekly notes)- but that is pretty limited. I actually did specifically ask for NWEA scores and was told they would be available - at conferences - which, in my opinion, makes preparing a challenge. Actually, last year, parents were not given NWEA scores - I had to ask, gently push, and then finally meet with the principal to get DD's NWEA scores. The plan THIS winter is actually also to forgo sharing NWEA results with parents, because we were told "these are just for teachers" (I actually plan to ask for those - wish me luck!). We say "hope" because we are trying to remain optimistic and cooperative, not because we have not wished to have more information. wink
These are things I need to ask the current classroom teacher about, then go from there.
Is the classroom teacher the best source of information for school board policies on admissibility of outside tests? In some districts, that might be the Central Administration Office and/or posted policies which parents may research on the district website. Similarly, the classroom teacher may not be the best source of information regarding any special scoring/accommodation for the gifted identification test, and how that may indicate any potential accommodation would be needed in the classroom; In some schools that may be the school psych? Similar with decisions on 2e/LD identification?

I mention this proactively to possibly avoid a situation of someone being put on the spot, and you feeling uncomfortable as a parent if your questions are misdirected and therefore may seem to take more "push" from you than you might think is normal or necessary, to receive answers.

Did you mention working in a school? How would these matters be handled there? Are there some you might tap in your school for background information? Might your daughter transfer to your school as one option?

We switched her meds over the summer... teacher said she's doing wonderfully and completing work fast (vs. the last week of school last year the teacher said she was doing horribly and couldn't complete the simplest of things).
It sounds like she is functioning well, her ADHD is not a factor when she is taking appropriate meds?
wish me luck!... We say "hope" because we are trying to remain optimistic and cooperative
I *do* wish you luck, and I will join you in "hoping" for the best in future planning once those test results are revealed.

I shared those links because some parents, new to shepherding GT kids through the ever changing educational maze, do not realize how other parents may get things done for their kids... there is lots of info out there, parents just need to find it in time! Preparing for conferences can make a big difference and the tips in several of those links do not necessarily require test results... much prep can be done before parents come to the table.
wish me luck!... We say "hope" because we are trying to remain optimistic and cooperative
I *do* wish you luck, and I will join you in "hoping" for the best in future planning once those test results are revealed.

I shared those links because some parents, new to shepherding GT kids through the ever changing educational maze, do not realize how other parents may get things done for their kids... there is lots of info out there, parents just need to find it in time! Preparing for conferences can make a big difference and the tips in several of those links do not necessarily require test results... much prep can be done before parents come to the table.

Thank you! Blackcat, I am sorry for the thread tangent. I am not sure if our district is "normal"! We, too, are striving to get "the right fit" for our DC this year. I guess what we are trying to arrive at conferences with is something other than just our "gut feelings" that our children need differentiation/further differentiation in the first place. Our district seems to place a great deal of weight on the NWEA tests (used as a factor G&T placement, eventual math acceleration, and curriculum grouping), so if I want to discuss goals for my DC, I feel as though I need to speak to teachers with data that is relevant to them. Thank you for the information, though, indigo - I will definitely read this! smile

Blackcat - I can relate to much of what you are saying. DD is in 3rd and they were told that they were going to review K-2 crazy at the beginning of this year in math. She then received yet more drilling in addition and subtraction. DD has been a bear at home - crabby and complaining. I do not have any answers - but I "hope" (there I go again! :D) we can all find some solutions!

deleted

Thank you! Blackcat, I am sorry for the thread tangent. I am not sure if our district is "normal"! We, too, are striving to get "the right fit" for our DC this year. I guess what we are trying to arrive at conferences with is something other than just our "gut feelings" that our children need differentiation/further differentiation in the first place. Our district seems to place a great deal of weight on the NWEA tests (used as a factor G&T placement, eventual math acceleration, and curriculum grouping), so if I want to discuss goals for my DC, I feel as though I need to speak to teachers with data that is relevant to them. Thank you for the information, though, indigo - I will definitely read this! smile

Blackcat - I can relate to much of what you are saying. DD is in 3rd and they were told that they were going to review K-2 crazy at the beginning of this year in math. She then received yet more drilling in addition and subtraction. DD has been a bear at home - crabby and complaining. I do not have any answers - but I "hope" (there I go again! :D) we can all find some solutions!

When is your conference? Ours is the 14th. As I predicted, I still don't know what the math and reading scores are. Good luck with everything and let me know how it goes.
I am in same boat worrying about lack of differentiation 6 weeks into school. Would having a GIEP mean more had to be done? Or does this so-called differentiation meet the requirements for individualized learning as required by your state's laws? Just wondering in my own case whether it is worth rattling the cage...
Our conferences are around the same time as yours, but different days for each child. I hope that your conferences are helpful!
I guess what we are trying to arrive at conferences with is something other than just our "gut feelings" that our children need differentiation/further differentiation in the first place.
Yes, the links provided, and much more information freely available on the internet, provide tips and strategies as to how parents may go about researching and preparing for parent/teacher conferences.

Meanwhile, blackcat, did you mention working in a school? How would these matters of gifted testing, identification, accommodation, and differentiation be handled there? Are there some you might tap in your school for background information? Might your daughter transfer to your school as one option?
deleted
By the end of first grade, half the kids still could not fluently read basic text like "the cat sat on the mat."
Were these children deprived of being read to from birth by parents, grandparents, daycare centers, siblings, neighbors, cousins, etc? No doubt some of these kids are gifted, but if deprived of stimulation such as reading and opportunities to challenge themselves and develop neurologically, they may unfortunately be seen as being on the low side of the IQ curve, thereby growing more frustrated every day. Stephanie Tolan's metaphor, Is It A Cheetah? comes to mind. (link- http://www.stephanietolan.com/is_it_a_cheetah.htm)

How to reach parents and encourage them to read to their children from birth?
Indigo, FYI, "my heart bleeds for you" is sarcastic. It doesn't mean you feel sorry for them, it means you think they're a big baby and need to suck it up. Which is not the sentiment you wanted to express, I think?
Originally Posted by Tallulah
Indigo, FYI, "my heart bleeds for you" is sarcastic. It doesn't mean you feel sorry for them, it means you think they're a big baby and need to suck it up. Which is not the sentiment you wanted to express, I think?

I suspect this idiom's meaning may be different depending upon one's region (and/or tone). I've always heard it used as Indigo used it, rather than sarcastically. My quick online search found both interpretations.
... I had to educate them...special education categories ... no communication between the two.
At the beginning of the year when I talked to the teachers, they sounded nice and reasonable so I had high hopes..."
Yes, we become uncredentialed, unofficial experts in so many things life may throw at us, and then may wonder why the credentialed teachers we entrust our children to may *not* already know these things. Possibly more teacher programs and ongoing professional development could include teaching about special ed?

... Sorry this is so long and negative--I didn't want to get long-winded about all of my other issues with the school, but the thread went off on a tangent.
No problem, not to worry, very understandable given the circumstances. Advocacy can be exhausting and bewildering. For what its worth, I believe your efforts will have lasting positive ripple effects on many lives. I'm proud of you and admire your persistence. smile
YIKES! No I mean sincerely. Thanks for the heads-up, though, and the opportunity to clarify.

Originally Posted by ConnectingDots
I suspect this idiom's meaning may be different depending upon one's region (and/or tone). I've always heard it used as Indigo used it, rather than sarcastically. My quick online search found both interpretations.
Yes! I mean sincerely. Hopefully the context of the rest of the post helped indicate that.
...sarcastic... Which is not the sentiment you wanted to express, I think?
Thank you for pointing this out, to clarify I mean sincerely. I have removed that sentiment as it may be subject to misinterpretation. Thanks again.
deleted
I'm sure their IQ is the same and there are bright kids, but it is overall lower SES with quite a few ESL kids who came into kindergarten not knowing the language...
There may be many definitions of success and many paths to these successes.

Waldorf schooling comes to mind and causes me to wonder whether some of the hands-on Waldorf methods such as teaching knitting might be a good supplement for kids who are not yet readers for whatever reason. Activities such as knitting are said to increase manual dexterity, exercise math, reasoning, and problem solving skills, and aid cognitive development. If I recall, the students in Waldorf schools begin reading about 3rd grade, and already have a steady portfolio of accomplishments by that time... projects which have kept the synapses firing and the neurological development progressing.

Might some of these techniques be utilized to help rescue these kids so they are not stuck? Possibly this is being done in some more innovative programs?

I did a quick websearch and found several articles... here's one: http://www.wbez.org/series/front-center/first-grade-knitting-and-stories-are-focus-not-phonics-99638
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum