Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: zoey98677 Middle school services - 03/18/15 10:21 PM
My DS is 2e with Dyslexia and Dysgraphia. He will be heading to middle school next year and we just started his transition meetings. I am finding out that he will be pulled out of every special (art, music, chorus, library, etc) because this is the time the school has allotted for special education. My son needs these specials. This really doesn't seem fair at all. Has anyone else been in this situation?
Posted By: DeeDee Re: Middle school services - 03/18/15 10:26 PM
Our school uses study hall for these services. They also do quite a bit of "collaborative teaching" (i.e. pushing services into the regular classroom rather than pulling the child out).

In your shoes I'd start advocating for better solutions....
Posted By: puffin Re: Middle school services - 03/19/15 12:37 AM
Perhaps they should try it themselves first. I can see they are trying to avoid him missing core subjects but it would be awfully dull.
Posted By: aeh Re: Middle school services - 03/19/15 01:48 AM
Look at the kind of services he has on his plan. Some supports can be provided relatively easily in a co-taught/inclusion setting, or by monitoring general educator use of accommodations. Others are more challenging. If he is still receiving fairly intensive services (e.g., OT, systematic instruction in decoding/encoding (OG, Wilson, etc.), then the pull-out is kind of important. Does the work he does in special education replace his classroom work? Unless it is something like Wilson, it should ideally take place during the relevant subject, so that his access to that material is appropriately supported, and he is provided with the least restrictive environment. And as a matter of general principle, he does have a right to access the general education curriculum, of which the arts frameworks are a component.

Though I will note that many schools use specials time for tier 2 general education interventions (remedial/academic support classes for low-achieving/at-risk students not exclusively in special education).
Posted By: zoey98677 Re: Middle school services - 06/22/15 02:01 PM
Update: I had my IEP meeting last week, I will now homeschool my son in Math (which he is 2 grades above anyway) and the school will deliver his services during the regularly scheduled math time. This really helps on so many levels!! I am so excited!!
Posted By: aeh Re: Middle school services - 06/22/15 02:38 PM
Excellent! That is good news.
Posted By: puffin Re: Middle school services - 06/23/15 06:34 AM
Much better idea.
Posted By: indigo Re: Middle school services - 06/23/15 12:41 PM
Is the school providing you with their math textbook(s) and materials for teaching your son at 2 grade levels advanced? Otherwise summer is a great time for lining up some potential resources for homeschooling your son in math.
Posted By: zoey98677 Re: Middle school services - 09/06/15 12:57 PM
For math he actually attends the Russian School of Math. He started several years ago, and loves it. The teaching style is a perfect fit for him. My usual quiet, inattentive child is transformed into a math superstar, raising his hand, going to the board and engaged! The teacher says she notices the ADD and sometimes he uses all of his energy to pay attention, but overall it has been the best thing for him. As far as homeschooling- I have the textbook and will go through that with him to make sure we cover it all but honestly I think he already learned it a year or two ago in the Russian school of Math. It will still be reviewed.

He will also have 2 extra study halls so he can get some homework done.

Presently, I am trying to require the school to only use a Wilson certified teacher to teach the Wilson program. Most of the time the Wilson teachers are teacher aids with NO training.
Posted By: DeeDee Re: Middle school services - 09/06/15 01:03 PM
Originally Posted by zoey98677
Update: I had my IEP meeting last week, I will now homeschool my son in Math (which he is 2 grades above anyway) and the school will deliver his services during the regularly scheduled math time. This really helps on so many levels!! I am so excited!!

Well done! Great problem-solving.
Posted By: BSM Re: Middle school services - 09/07/15 12:56 PM
Nice. Great outcome.

There are a ton of online, self-paced math courses. Khan Academy has a lot of good material. My 12yo and I took a calculus course from Ohio State over the summer. It was taught much better than when I took it 30 years ago.
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum