Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: bluemagic Do you know your IQ? Your childs IQ? - 04/02/14 07:08 PM
And if so what tests did you use to determine it? At what age? Are there other tests you used to determine your child was HG+ or PG?

I ask because I've been feeling a bit uncomfortable in some of these threads because I don't really KNOW "how gifted" my DS15 is because he has never had any sort of formal IQ testing. Upon reading the descriptions about the levels my guess is he is HG, but not HG+ or PG.

We never did an IQ or WISC on my son because the OLSAT was the only test we needed to get my son into the gifted program at my school district. My son took the OLSAT in 3rd grade, but we never receive complete scores only the percentage. He scored 99%, ie in the top 1%. But according to the reading I've done on these boards the OLSAT is more of a achievement test than an IQ test. Every teacher/administrator who has interacted/observed my child in school comments on how easily my son picks up new topics. Entrance into the standard gifted program through 8th grade was never really a problem.

I really don't have much perspective. My husband was considered PG when he was a student, although I don't know his actual IQ. His parents probably knew when he was a kid, to get him the services he received. I was labeled as gifted as a child but I know I'm not on par with my husband. My older DD is not gifted and I do have her IQ somewhere in the piles of IEP documents and and testing done for her LD. I wasn't that concerned by the exact score and she was listed as above average in intelligence, but because learning disability she struggled with achievement.

I'm not likely to get my son tested at this point as it will have no direct effect on H.S. class placement. I've just become insatiably curious.
Posted By: aquinas Re: Do you know your IQ? Your childs IQ? - 04/02/14 07:22 PM
No idea on either count.

I was in the gifted program and offered multiple grade skips at 8 after taking a test (I have no idea which), which was the earliest age for the GT offering locally. My parents didn't need to advocate because the elementary school psychologist had determined I needed substantial acceleration and offered an initial double grade skip. (I was a "showy" child, like my DS.) So ?G for me, based on that limited info.

DS2.25 is like I was as a child, but on a steeper trajectory. When I benchmark his milestones against the Ruf estimates and the children of other parents here, he looks at least HG.
Posted By: blackcat Re: Do you know your IQ? Your childs IQ? - 04/02/14 07:25 PM
DS had the WISC IV done shortly after he turned 6 and had a traumatic brain injury. He had had the WPPSI done when he was 3 but he was so young and uncooperative that I never really took the results that seriously (he didn't even finish the test). The WPPSI was done because of developmental delays. Then the WISC was done after the skull fractures/brain injury but I didn't know the neuropsych was going to do any IQ testing. When I figured out that's what he was doing (the test was sitting there) I was hoping he'd come out somewhere above 100, esp. considering he was still affected by the brain injury with poor motor skills and impaired vision (I really wasn't expecting great scores from him, I just would have liked to see something that was at least 50th percentile), so everyone was surprised by the perceptual reasoning score of 141. His GAI was in the 130's.

DD took the CogAT in second grade with disastrous results (she didn't finish half the test), and she needed an IQ test for possible entrance into the gifted program. I didn't want the school district to do it so I took her to have it done privately. I was hoping she'd score at least 132 and her GAI turned out to be 150+. I see her and DS as very similar in terms of their non-verbal ability so I was expecting high scores from her based on his results, I just wasn't sure how high. She did much better than him in verbal ability which I was expecting as well.

My guess is if you think he is HG, he probably is. Both of my kids scored higher than what I would have expected (on the WISC at least).

I don't know my own IQ and don't really care, but my PSAT scores were around the 97th-98th percentile, which is the closest thing I've taken to an IQ test. I don't remember my GRE scores. I show an opposite pattern than my kids in that my verbal ability is stronger than math/non-verbal.
Posted By: HowlerKarma Re: Do you know your IQ? Your childs IQ? - 04/02/14 07:28 PM
My DH and I both know our IQ's. We also know the IQ's of both of our fathers and mothers, and a few other first degree relatives of those people. Everyone in that group is between 140-ish and 17o-something on the old SB-LM, with two NT exceptions. Within that framework, it is amply clear to us that our DD is at least EG, and almost certainly PG. "Very, very bright" is sort of an expectation in our families. Our yardstick is basically one that runs from "bright" through "PG." It's hard to keep that in mind, but on the other hand, it makes DD feel less freakish, I think, so that may be a good thing.

DH was tested in elementary school; I was too, at least the first time, though the SB-LM was used on me when I was about 11-13yo, I think. Happily, this also means that those values are directly comparable to the other individuals whose results are known to us.

DH is HG and I'm well into EG-- my father was PG (170+). Everyone who knew my father has spontaneously remarked on how similar DD is to him. I'm out there enough that I can see how she thinks, even if I can't always keep up with her. My DH can't always follow her 'jumps' the way that I can, which makes sense in light of the numbers involved. She is doing things at 14 that I couldn't do until I was 18-21 (and then some, actually-- since she was about 10, she has done some things that I simply CANNOT do). Interestingly, I'd have said that the Ruf levels were full of... well, something... until relatively recently with DD. I had my doubts about where she was (HG/EG/PG) until she was about twelve or so, and then she took off. Again.

Anyway. We've never seen the need to have the number for my DD. Like your DS, there was never any question of admission to program content that was appropriate for her, and she was very readily identified as "GT" through sheer (half-hearted) performance measures. Whatever has been (realistically) available, she's had access to, so no need in our minds. Even without the number, a 3y acceleration wasn't a problem-- and wouldn't have been at our local B&M schools, either, which is saying something, as we have a LOT of TigerParents here. So the sum of that is that yeah, she's almost certainly PG-- everyone else seems to think so, at any rate, so we're okay calling it that too.

Knowing wouldn't gain us anything, and truthfully we question how accurate it would be if she refused to fully cooperate (and she might).

It's been a decidedly mixed bag to have it, in the experience of the HG+ among us. It was used as a way to 'shame/guilt' many of us for underachievement-- hopefully that wouldn't happen now, but still, the possibility to internalize it exists, certainly.

Life is about a lot more than that value-- it can easily turn into a burden, a legacy, an excuse, a prison, or a curse, after all.

Posted By: Dude Re: Do you know your IQ? Your childs IQ? - 04/02/14 07:35 PM
The nearest proxy for an IQ test I have is my SAT, which I took early in my HS junior year, after no prep work, got the results and said, "good enough." Mensa still considered it a proxy for IQ at the time I took it, and the score qualifies me for membership, so I'll go ahead and call myself gifted.

DD took the RIAS as part of her screening for G/T at school, and scored in the 99th percentile. There are other tools that can be used for a more reliable and complete picture, but for the purpose she was testing for, the result was plenty "good enough," so we're not pursuing it any further.
Posted By: Sweetie Re: Do you know your IQ? Your childs IQ? - 04/02/14 07:35 PM
I saw both my brothers IQs by mistake (one older and one younger) both profoundly gifted and I assume my engineer father is profoundly gifted. I saw the numbers when I was an adult.

I never had an IQ test and always felt less than smart because of their abilities but I have come to learn that I am no slouch just not 99.9 percentile. So when people say there is a big difference between pg and mildly gifted, I know first hand.

Both my sons have been tested on a WISC. One at age 8 and one at age 14.
Posted By: KathrynH Re: Do you know your IQ? Your childs IQ? - 04/02/14 07:48 PM
No idea about my own IQ. I know my husband is in the gifted range, but I don’t know the exact number.

We do not have an IQ for DS3.5, nor do we plan on getting one unless the need arises. It’s clear that he’s to the right of the curve, but I have no idea how far. I doubt he’s PG, but the Ruf Estimates book brings me to the conclusion that he’s about a level 4 (note - this is the book, not the online questionnaire).

I understand feeling uncomfortable on the forum from time to time. It’s such a unique population that I often find myself slipping into thinking, “Oh that’s gifted! My DS certainly isn’t doing that, so he must not be gifted!” Honestly, there are times when he blows my mind, and then times when I’m left wondering if he’s just average. It’s like he has bipolar intelligence - but that might just be the fact that he’s 3 1/2.

It’s more the comments/reactions of others that keeps me grounded. We’ve struck up conversations with strangers that say, “Oh! I’ve heard about him! He’s really bright, right?” Really? Because I can assure you that we don’t advertise that! (It’s hard enough to find friends as it is!) It came to the point that the teachers at our play-based preschool told us it was time for him to move on to another school because they just didn’t have enough to offer him in the classroom (e.g., only a couple of 25 piece puzzles and no real peers). We had never complained. I just figured he was happy playing all day.
Posted By: Chana Re: Do you know your IQ? Your childs IQ? - 04/02/14 08:07 PM
I have had to be tested a few times for various reasons and am generally in the high 140s, That is how I knew my DD10 needed much more because I knew hers had to be higher than mine. She has WISC-IV for the Davidson application and she is GAI 155. My DD8 is probably closer to me, but i haven't had her tested officially. She has only taken the OLSAT at school in prior years and her scores were erratic.
Posted By: ColinsMum Re: Do you know your IQ? Your childs IQ? - 04/02/14 08:44 PM
No; do not know my own or DH's, have chosen not to have DS tested.

One reason: as a child (around aged 10, while preparing for a school entrance test) I once did a whole book of "Know your own IQ" tests (aimed at adults) [gosh yes, that cover's awfully familiar!] over the course of a few weeks. Now, of course this is not the same as a real IQ test. But... from what I can gather it wasn't all that different in terms of the question types. My scores came out all over the shop, from 140ish to ?220, I forget, ceilinging the test, anyway, and not in any particular order - it wasn't a practice effect, just random variation with time of day/mood/whatever.

Anyway, it was enough to prime me to the idea that IQ might not, for an individual, be as stable and repeatable as all that. Since then, while I haven't made a careful study of the research, I've seen nothing to convince me that the probability of getting a number which is 10 or 15 points away from what it would be on another day is low enough to make it worth having a number that might be misleading in that way. I'm quite prepared to believe that for the purposes it's intended for IQ is quite good - but honestly, it isn't intended to distinguish 135 from 125 or 145, and I know I'd have a hard time not imbuing a number with that significance that it shouldn't have. So, better to look at the child.

DS has had some online verbal and non-verbal reasoning tests at school (all the cohort did) and we haven't been given the results. I think we're legally entitled to them, but I also think I shouldn't want them. Can you tell I'm having a hard time with whether to insist?!
Posted By: JonLaw Re: Do you know your IQ? Your childs IQ? - 04/02/14 08:55 PM
Originally Posted by ColinsMum
Anyway, it was enough to prime me to the idea that IQ might not, for an individual, be as stable and repeatable as all that. Since then, while I haven't made a careful study of the research, I've seen nothing to convince me that the probability of getting a number which is 10 or 15 points away from what it would be on another day is low enough to make it worth having a number that might be misleading in that way. I'm quite prepared to believe that for the purposes it's intended for IQ is quite good - but honestly, it isn't intended to distinguish 135 from 125 or 145, and I know I'd have a hard time not imbuing a number with that significance that it shouldn't have. So, better to look at the child.

The real problem seems to be that we need to figure out developmental arc over a lifetime, which I.Q. tests apparently can't do very well.

I suspect that such arcs are reasonably fixed, with some wiggle room, but not much.

The significance is the nature of the arc for the individual, not the score on a test on a particular day.
Posted By: Aufilia Re: Do you know your IQ? Your childs IQ? - 04/02/14 10:59 PM
Yes, I know DD's, we had her tested with the WPPSI at 4.5 because we were thinking of applying for her to a local gifted private school and the score was required; and with the WISC this spring (age 8) mostly because we have had such a horrible time getting any academic accommodations whatsoever. As it turns out the school still won't do anything for her, but her scores qualify her for DYS so that's well worth the expensive of having it done.

I was given some IQ test when I was in 1st grade to qualify me for gifted services in my district. The score was in my high school record and I found it there after high school; but I don't know what test was given so I don't know exactly what scale was used, so it was only a semi-meaningful number.
Posted By: chay Re: Do you know your IQ? Your childs IQ? - 04/03/14 12:32 AM
DH and I have never been tested (as far as we know anyways). Gifted education was not an option where we grew up. We think of ourselves as fairly smart but we're also continuously surrounded by extremely bright people which eventually warps your perspective of average.

DS was tested at 6.5. His WISC-IV scores were all over the place. We were only given percentiles for the subcategories and a range for the GAI which spans a couple of the gifted subgroups. He hasn't officially been labelled LD because of his age but they figure he will be. I usually don't think of him in terms of MG/HG/EG/PG and simply stick with the generic gifted term because quite honestly he occasionally seems like he could be any of them and sometimes quite a few more going all the way down to below average wink Asynchronous is his middle name. We will retest in the next year or two to hopefully have a bit more accurate picture and sort out the LD question. For the most part we just follow his lead and try to keep up at home while school focuses on the LD side. He's already qualified for the gifted program but it doesn't start for another year.

DD5 hasn't been tested. At times she seems way ahead of him but at others she pales in comparison. My gut says she some flavor of gifted but we'll have to wait and see.
Posted By: psychland Re: Do you know your IQ? Your childs IQ? - 04/03/14 01:10 AM
I was tested for GT program and scores in the 130's both verbal and nonverbal and total(I was in a self-contained program so they did a WISC)so technically gifted but just moderately so. DH was also given a wisc (in 7th grade) and scored 160+ in all areas. His report stated that he got full credit for every item on the test, so most def. PG. DD is much more like her dad than her mom and most of the time I just watch them with my mouth open:).
I did not know that DH had been evaluated (he did not remember) but when I told his mom about DD she found the report for me. You may want to ask your spouse's parents:).
Posted By: mecreature Re: Do you know your IQ? Your childs IQ? - 04/03/14 02:56 PM
I have no idea on myself or my spouse.

Our ds took the SB5 in 2009 when he was 6 yr 5 months and 6 days old. He scored in the HG range. The interesting thing was his subtest, the QR was the lowest and that is where he shines. It was an eye opener and a good tool for advocacy. He has always been way over the 99% in his map scores. In 3rd grade he took the EXPLORE and hit above DYS benchmarks across the board.

The public school he was in bombed him with test for a couple years. At the end of 4th grade we put a stop to it. We had enough data IMO.

His OLSAT scores were much lower, the school kept pointing this out. He thinks the OLSAT is a stupid test, he didn't care if he didn't finish it.
Posted By: 2GiftedBoys Re: Do you know your IQ? Your childs IQ? - 04/03/14 03:13 PM
I'm normal- 125 IQ, my DH is 165. My boys are currently being screened at school though we know for sure they are gifted, I'm anxious to see their official scores. We will be getting gifted IEPs.

We have other scores for now through cogat, map test, grAde and dibles.
Posted By: Diamondblue Re: Do you know your IQ? Your childs IQ? - 04/03/14 03:16 PM
I know mine and I know my son's. I was tested in the 80's with the WISC in order to qualify for gifted services. I scored in the moderately gifted range.

DS was tested with the RIAS at age 6 in order to qualify for gifted services. He scored in the 99.99th percentile at 155. I'm not sure how that translates to other tests, though. I say HG+, because given how he operates, he seems to be in the exceptionally gifted range but doesn't have the EG IQ score that I see listed in most places.

We were considering additional testing because we were having a challenge advocating for full-time gifted services. (I'm not kidding here - 99.99th percentile. Insert eye roll). We may still do that to see if he qualifies for DYS, but we have to give it some thought given that it would cost a lot.
Posted By: JonLaw Re: Do you know your IQ? Your childs IQ? - 04/03/14 03:26 PM
Originally Posted by Diamondblue
DS was tested with the RIAS at age 6 in order to qualify for gifted services. He scored in the 99.99th percentile at 155. I'm not sure how that translates to other tests, though. I say HG+, because given how he operates, he seems to be in the exceptionally gifted range but doesn't have the EG IQ score that I see listed in most places.

This gets back to my point that what we are measuring and what is actually happening are possibly two different things, in this case where you test lower than your actual peer group.
Posted By: bronalex Re: Do you know your IQ? Your childs IQ? - 04/03/14 05:14 PM
I've never taken an IQ test before so I don't really know for sure. Based on my ACT score, grades in school and other state standardized tests, I would guess something like 125-130 but that is a guess. I know my husband did really well on the MAT (I think that's what it is?) I think his is higher than that - maybe 135-140ish.

My son did the WISC IV and WJ III at 6.5 because of behavior issues in school. We needed to know what we were dealing with. His scores were very scattered due to what we later found out was visual processing issues. His WJ III was 143 I think but that is with his issues - I am guessing he may be closer to 150 or higher. I think we will retest when we get through vision therapy.
Posted By: bronalex Re: Do you know your IQ? Your childs IQ? - 04/03/14 05:17 PM
I've never taken an IQ test before so I don't really know for sure. Based on my ACT score, grades in school and other state standardized tests, I would guess something like 125-130 but who knows. We didn't really have a gifted program in my school and what they did have was pretty informal I think so I only got an invite to do some independent study type of stuff in HS. I know the school did ask my parents if they wanted me to skip first grade but they decided against it. I know my husband did really well on the MAT (I think that's what it is called?) I think his is higher than mine - maybe 135-140ish.

My son did the WISC IV and WJ III at 6.5 because of behavior issues in school. We needed to know what we were dealing with. His scores were very scattered due to what we later found out was visual processing issues. His WJ III was 143 but that is with his issues - I am guessing he may be closer to 150 or higher. I think we will retest when we get through vision therapy.
Posted By: polarbear Re: Do you know your IQ? Your childs IQ? - 04/03/14 05:46 PM
Originally Posted by bluemagic
And if so what tests did you use to determine it? At what age? Are there other tests you used to determine your child was HG+ or PG?

I don't know what my IQ is, although I think I have a reasonably good idea based on my placement in classes in school, how well I did in those classes, how little I paid attention in school, combined with my SAT etc scores and... in hindsight.. I am an extremely intense and passionate personality and I go way farther "all in" and in more detail when I work on a project than most of my acquaintances... so I wonder now if part of that is a gifted thing?

I have IQ #s for each of my children - for my ds we first tested for a gifted program in the school district, because he was one of those kids who when he opened his mouth and spoke at 3, other adults jaws dropped. A friend recommended we test for the school district gifted program. Later on he had another IQ test as part of an eval for 2e. And he's had more since from school district and repeated neuropsychs all as part of advocating for his 2e.

My dds also had IQ testing as part of screening for 2e (one is, one isn't). Each child has had the WISC and the WJ-III Test of Cognitive Abilities. Personally I like the WJ-III best because I've received more detailed info from it.

I ask because I've been feeling a bit uncomfortable in some of these threads because I don't really KNOW "how gifted" my DS15 is because he has never had any sort of formal IQ testing.

Try not to feel uncomfortable. The reason most of us are here is we are looking for help with advocacy etc. I personally do not think that the IQ number is the end-all definition of what type of services and classes any of our children need in school - I feel strongly that each child is an individual and that the gut feelings we have about our children's needs, as parents, are our best guidepost in advocating. The flip side to that, however, is that sometimes it's necessary to have testing and have ability/achievement scores to share when advocating so that school staff understand you're not just any parent off the street who just thinks their child is really smart.

My older DD is not gifted and I do have her IQ somewhere in the piles of IEP documents and and testing done for her LD. I wasn't that concerned by the exact score and she was listed as above average in intelligence, but because learning disability she struggled with achievement.

Are you sure she isn't gifted? Depending on the nature of her LD, her IQ scores might not reflect her true intelligence - for instance, and FSIQ may be including subtest scores that are depressed due to the nature of her challenges, while other subtest scores might be in the gifted range, but you'd not necessarily realize that due to averaging of scores - unless you had the full report with subtest scores.

polarbear

I'm not likely to get my son tested at this point as it will have no direct effect on H.S. class placement. I've just become insatiably curious. [/quote]
Posted By: bluemagic Re: Do you know your IQ? Your childs IQ? - 04/03/14 06:39 PM
Originally Posted by polarbear
My older DD is not gifted and I do have her IQ somewhere in the piles of IEP documents and and testing done for her LD. I wasn't that concerned by the exact score and she was listed as above average in intelligence, but because learning disability she struggled with achievement.

Are you sure she isn't gifted? Depending on the nature of her LD, her IQ scores might not reflect her true intelligence - for instance, and FSIQ may be including subtest scores that are depressed due to the nature of her challenges, while other subtest scores might be in the gifted range, but you'd not necessarily realize that due to averaging of scores - unless you had the full report with subtest scores.

polarbear
Yes I am sure she doesn't test in the gifted range. She was tested quite extensively with full reports and sub tests and not just by the schools. Because of a birth defect she started in speech at 2 and walked into the school system with an IEP. Working with a private educational therapist, and resource teachers at school she has learned how to succeed in school despite it. Her problem has been language processing, while she could decode words she struggled with comprehension. The best explanation is in her younger grades when one would ask her to read out loud, she would skip words, often little but important works like not, up, under. Words she could decode if you slowed her down, but changed that changed meaning of the text entirely. She often doesn't get a joke until 5 minutes later, it takes a while for her brain to process it.

She is now a sophomore at a art school across the country studying photography. She is happy, getting good grades, doing well with living independently. I have no idea what she will do after college but I am very proud of how hard she has worked to get where she is now.
Posted By: CCN Re: Do you know your IQ? Your childs IQ? - 04/04/14 12:52 AM
I was never tested or accelerated as a kid - I was just a horrible misfit and was constantly stressed as a result. I got tested in my late 20s and scored in the HG range (150+).

My DS was tested but an IQ couldn't be calculated because the range between high and low was too broad. Currently he scores way ahead of age level in some achievement areas and below in others (a classic 2e thing). I have NO idea if he's NT, MG, HG... not a clue. Based on his capacity for abstract thinking and the speed at which he learns, though, I doubt very much that he's NT.

My DD has had very similar behaviours and milestones as me, so I estimate she could be HG. The only testing she's had was in math in grade 2, in which she scored about 3 years ahead.

So... yes for me, no for them...
Posted By: Wren Re: Do you know your IQ? Your childs IQ? - 04/04/14 12:59 AM
I was tested, DD has been tested many times. I just think there are different types of gifted. DH was PG sequential, I am VS. Verbally he made me look like an idiot, his ability to debate, but I was way ahead of him in the ability to strategize and I am guessing the math was much easier for me but I didn't know him young.
I have a childhood friend, PG, did physics, then nuclear engineering, so brilliant, they came and offered her classified research positions. Talking with childhood friends, parents apparently noted me. I stood out as the most brilliant or whatever, but my friend flew through undergrad physics with perfect grades. Then went into a PhD nuclear engineering program and I think she is far more brilliant than I. But we are just different. A director from GM asked me about a choice they made for the new CEO and I made a very specific statement about what was wrong with their thinking. 6 months later he wrote me a letter (yes, that long ago that I got a letter) that I was right. It reflected an ability I have as a VS.
For the umpteenth time,I will state, that the thing I have learned in this forum is that there is no one size fits all. PGs or HGs come in all types.
Someone made a statement at my dinner party last week about gifted and Aspergers. In researching it, I came across some info about Aspergers being the engineering disease. This fellow noted that offspring from MIT grads tend to have a high percentage of Aspergers. And there is a high percentage in Silicon Valley.
So does having Aspergers make you even more brilliant as an engineer?
Posted By: CCN Re: Do you know your IQ? Your childs IQ? - 04/04/14 01:20 AM
Originally Posted by Wren
For the umpteenth time,I will state, that the thing I have learned in this forum is that there is no one size fits all. PGs or HGs come in all types.

Yup. I agree completely.
Yes, we had DS tested (based on the rather common here experience of being told he wasn't gifted and just a behavioral problem in a rigid classroom where he was not learning a single new concept or fact).

DH, no, he doesn't know, but has vivid memories of being highly bored (although he was a "good student" and studied, unlike his wife) in a pretty good school system. I would think somewhere in the gifted range, certainly. Excellent memory, quick math ability, catches on to most subjects right away.

My school had no g&t programs. I don't know my IQ, but based on other tests I qualify for MENSA, for whatever that is worth. Throughout high school I rarely studied (which was a problem once I hit college and actually needed those skills) and was either a teacher's favorite or a PITA for those I deemed boring (was not afraid to challenge them). I must have been a delight.

I knew I was smart, but didn't think I was all that smart (always knew others with better grades or scores). Professionally, especially within the last few years, when I've had anonymous feedback surveys, I've been surprised by the number of comments about my intelligence. I'm not saying that to brag and hope it is a safe comment here, it's just odd to get that from coworkers ("scary smart" is one of the comments that stands out) when I've tried so hard to fit in... for so many years.

Posted By: Diamondblue Re: Do you know your IQ? Your childs IQ? - 04/04/14 01:07 PM
Originally Posted by ConnectingDots
I knew I was smart, but didn't think I was all that smart (always knew others with better grades or scores). Professionally, especially within the last few years, when I've had anonymous feedback surveys, I've been surprised by the number of comments about my intelligence. I'm not saying that to brag and hope it is a safe comment here, it's just odd to get that from coworkers ("scary smart" is one of the comments that stands out) when I've tried so hard to fit in... for so many years.

Of all the places in cyberspace, this is probably one of the safest to make that comment. smile I've had this experience too. I thought I was blending in and didn't stand out for being "smart." Looking back, I realize I've been trying to fit in since the age of 6 or 7, but the reality is that other people still picked up on it. The great thing about getting older though (and now having a kiddo who is far more gifted than I am) is that I'm finally coming to terms with what my giftedness means in my life - the good, bad, and ugly. There is a certain freedom to owning it, right?
Posted By: Dude Re: Do you know your IQ? Your childs IQ? - 04/04/14 02:03 PM
Originally Posted by ConnectingDots

This is why I tend to back away slowly when someone starts trying to tell me how smart they are. My experience has always been that someone who is really smart doesn't have to talk about it. People notice.

For example, we might meet some adults at the park, who observe DD and say, "She's really smart." They're not telling me anything I don't already know, but I'm certainly curious how they do, on account of my DD has been running around as a giggle-monster the whole time.
Posted By: JonLaw Re: Do you know your IQ? Your childs IQ? - 04/04/14 02:12 PM
Originally Posted by Dude
This is why I tend to back away slowly when someone starts trying to tell me how smart they are. My experience has always been that someone who is really smart doesn't have to talk about it. People notice.

For example, we might meet some adults at the park, who observe DD and say, "She's really smart." They're not telling me anything I don't already know, but I'm certainly curious how they do, on account of my DD has been running around as a giggle-monster the whole time.

People know. That's why I say you apparently tell like you can tell how tall someone is.
Posted By: JonLaw Re: Do you know your IQ? Your childs IQ? - 04/04/14 02:13 PM
Originally Posted by CCN
Originally Posted by Wren

Yup. I agree completely.

I still think that the problem is that we are looking at something that is imperfectly correlated to what we actually are trying to articulate.
Posted By: La Texican Re: Do you know your IQ? Your childs IQ? - 04/04/14 02:18 PM
When I was 14 I had the IQ of a 25 yr. old. I had my young son tested. He does not qualify for DYS at this time. I might try again when he's a teenager. Maybe he didn't take it seriously. My dad and aunt were tested when they were teens and they would have qualified. I don't know yet if this is that "regression to the mean" I've read about, or if we tested him too young. Me, my dad, and my aunt, with our outrageous scores, did nothing noteworthy as a career. My grandfather and great uncle had noteworthy careers. My dad wonders why I read about giftedness at all, since gifted people are normal folks, besides being smart, and says, yes, you have more to deal with than most people, but you have more ability to deal with it too. It would have been nice if my son qualified for DYS because I would have felt less like I was guessing at my parenting choices. The local public school is rural and less than half of the kids are on grade level. I was going to let him go, but I learned that he didn't do any of his work in class for four or five months and I said that's a horrible lesson for a five year old. There's an out of district Harmony math and Science Academy I would have asked for out of district placement, but the tester said, don't go there. They don't take the cream of the crop anymore. They give the kids tons of homework to keep up their scores. I've read about that scenerio here being described as negative, so I took the advice. But without that advice I would have thought being around kids who actually do their work would be the better situation. Without any advice I could get I decided to homeschool. The school said his not doing his work was a maturity issue and he would outgrow it. I said, "well, if he's killing time until he matures he can do that at home and not learn bad habits of not doing any work.". He does 2-3 hrs. of mandatory work at home on a school day. I just see disadvantages of all three situations and still agonize over the decision. I know this is more than the question asked for, but this is what knowing four IQ scores has meant to me.
Posted By: notnafnaf Re: Do you know your IQ? Your childs IQ? - 04/08/14 02:24 AM
Due to my disability that profoundly affected my language acquisition and went undetected until pre-K, I had the WISC-R done at least three times that I found buried in the school papers my mother sent me last year - at ages 8, 11, 15. My performance IQ did not not change much over that period (from 127 to 136 - consistently slow increase) but my verbal swung from 94 to 127 over that period (I tanked in vocabulary on earlier ones and the sole focus it felt like when I was a kid was to catch up for those years that I basically had very little lanuage exposure). I recall the last test giver - when I was in high school - because he told me that my vocabulary really reflected that gap - and the attempts to make up via books, since I knew lots of words the average teenager did not know but missed on words that the average teenager would know. High school was the last one I ever took since there was no need for any more (mandated) testing... in college, it was determined that I did not need any special services and at work, it does not appear to affect my job performance.

We had DS tested due to my history and DH's family history of LDs and HG/PG kids and DS's very high emotional sensitivity to understand what may be best school environments since we started realizing that his current single age classroom appears to be leaving him bored and out of sync with his classmates. His verbal shows as HG/PG but his performance was not as high but still noticably above average.

Posted By: 2GiftedBoys Re: Do you know your IQ? Your childs IQ? - 05/08/14 07:22 PM
Woodcock johnson- My second grader is 130, my kindergartner is 138.

Both were tested the same week they had 104 fever so I can't help but wonder what results were affected.
Posted By: puffin Re: Do you know your IQ? Your childs IQ? - 05/08/14 08:06 PM
I hope they didn't have that kind of fever during the tests? Illness can be unpredictable - I found it effects study for exams rather than the actual exam where i just got caught up in what i was doing. But i wasn't 6!
Posted By: aeh Re: Do you know your IQ? Your childs IQ? - 05/08/14 08:34 PM
I and all of my siblings were tested on the LM, back in the day, but none of our children have been, other than incidental OLSATs at school, mainly because the numbers matter very little. If we spend enough time with them, children will tell us by their presentation what they need, and meeting their needs is what matters.

Of course, as a side note, I've administered enough tests to have a reasonable idea of where the kids fall on the curve. Not that I could name a number by eyeball. There is a famous anecdote (well, famous in assessment circles!) about David Wechsler being able to pin the FSIQ of pretty much any kid in less than ten minutes, with a couple of choice questions and his clinical observation. It appears to be legit, as it concerns Alan Kaufman's (KBIT, KTEA, WISC-IV guy) young daughter.

They have had some achievement testing, but that was mostly because I was trying out my new test kit!
Posted By: Nautigal Re: Do you know your IQ? Your childs IQ? - 05/08/14 08:36 PM
I don't know either one. DS has had the WISC-IV twice and got vastly different (20+ points between) scores, even the second of which is not within 20 points of where everyone who knows him knows that he ought to be. He simply doesn't think the way the test does, so I don't think he will ever get an accurate score. He's 99.9th percentile on nearly every other test (WJ-III, NWEA, MAP, etc.), and definitely "scary smart", but the IQ test boggles him.

I have the same problem with that sort of test -- I've taken online ones (because I get a kick out of tests, ha), and the three-dimensional thinking questions fry my brain. I can ace tests with the pattern questions, number games and such, but I just don't think in 3D.
Posted By: BrandiT Re: Do you know your IQ? Your childs IQ? - 05/09/14 07:21 AM
According to my Mother, mine tested 160+ around the first grade, but she's unsure of what test was used. That would have been in the late 80's. When it comes to myself, I don't care either way. It doesn't make a difference in my current life. I have no idea if my husband has ever been tested, but I'm positive he falls somewhere in the gifted area, HG at a minimum but probably considerably higher. As far as testing my children (at least my daughter, who I am sure is somewhere out there as well) - my feeling is we'll do it if we need to. She's not even 3.5 yet, so no rush for me.

I will say - My mother said her father had tested "off the charts". He suffered from mental illness (which, was probably just the difficultly of someone being PG trying to fit in before it was understood at all) and had some pretty ghastly procedures done in the sake of 'repairing' him back in the 60s. I honestly did not know him well.
Posted By: AvoCado Re: Do you know your IQ? Your childs IQ? - 05/09/14 10:07 AM
Me, DH and DS, I don't know, but I do know DD's and my sister's and they are within 4 points of each other.
DS I'm guessing is similar to DD as they are such similar kids and based on some of his achievement scores - and I've also taken all that to mean mine is probably the same as theirs too.
And just to keep the assumptions going, I reckon that DH is around the same too smile
OP, you should just test if you're curious!
Posted By: Lovemydd Re: Do you know your IQ? Your childs IQ? - 05/09/14 11:29 AM
Don't know anyone's iq. However, I know that when my mom went for her kindergarten screening at age 4, she was reading, writing and doing 2nd grade math with ease, so they enrolled her in 2nd grade ( those were the days). I also know that dad was dirt poor, came from a village, used to walk miles to get to his school, had no support but managed to go to top college with full scholarship. So I believe I come from good stock smile. Dd is only 4.5 and there is no need to test her now. I will be shocked if she does not test at least hg.
Posted By: Mk13 Re: Do you know your IQ? Your childs IQ? - 05/09/14 03:29 PM
I had some unofficial testing done when I was in elementary school and would be HG/HG+ these days. We haven't had the kids tested, yet, they are both 2E and since we're going the homeschooling route for now, there's really no need to test. But my best guess would be DS5.8 HG/GH+ and DS4.1 HG+, possibly even PG. Problem with DS4.1 is that he is so very 2E that to a stranger he would look seriously cognitively delayed. It might just be in my mind, but sometimes I have that feeling that he's one of those kids who are so gifted, it becomes a disability for them. If I said that out loud to any of our friends, they'd probably think I am crazy but I know all of you here on this board understand what I mean.
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum