Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: orlandomom Iowa Acceleration Scales - 02/16/13 01:43 AM
Where can I get the manual for a somewhat discounted price? I checked prices for the latest edition and it was around $150!
Can I use the previous edition? And do I need to get special forms to fill out?
Just trying to get some info about it.

Thanks!
Posted By: Eibbed Re: Iowa Acceleration Scales - 02/16/13 01:52 AM
You can get it on Amazon for about $47. IAS
Posted By: st pauli girl Re: Iowa Acceleration Scales - 02/16/13 02:24 AM
Have you checked with your school district? Some school districts will have a copy of the IAS and the forms. And sometimes people will have single forms to sell. (I think the forms are normally sold to schools in packs of 10, but if your school doesn't have them it sometimes works to fill out as much as you can, and if it shows your kiddo is a good candidate, bring the form to the school.

We got a form from someone who had extras and used that to help convince the school to accelerate our son. We didn't get the book. The forms have some explanation, so for us the book was not necessary. The forms include several questions about various relevant issues, including IQ scores, achievement scores, age of child, social questions, etc. each item is given a score by the parent and the teachers (I found it best to fill it out separately to compare). It's pretty objective, and so more convincing to schools than a parent just saying "my kid needs to skip".
Posted By: DeeDee Re: Iowa Acceleration Scales - 02/16/13 02:59 AM
I got the manual via Interlibrary Loan, and it had the scale in it.

DeeDee
Posted By: Eibbed Re: Iowa Acceleration Scales - 02/16/13 03:02 AM
Originally Posted by DeeDee
I got the manual via Interlibrary Loan, and it had the scale in it.

DeeDee

Good idea! My library system doesn't seem to have a copy of it and I hadn't thought of that. I'll look into that. I would love to actually have a chance to see the scale as I'm debating whether or not tis might be something I think would be in DS's best interests.
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum