Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: Vinnielou Redhead Syndrom? - 11/20/12 09:24 PM
Weird off topic but I am looking for perspective other than my own.

Does the Redhead syndrome exist? Do redheads get singled out and categorized as trouble makers?

Does gender play a role?

What are your opinions and/or experiences?
Posted By: polarbear Re: Redhead Syndrom? - 11/20/12 09:43 PM
I think they get noticed because of their hair color, but among the redheads I've been close to, the ones that got in trouble or who were singled out in some other way landed there because they did something that set them apart other than having red hair smile

polarbear
Posted By: Jtooit Re: Redhead Syndrom? - 11/20/12 10:11 PM
I have 2 redheads one of each gender:) I can't say they have ever experienced it. Both of mine would be describe in a positive light by teachers and other authority figures. My DS had some behavior struggles, aka-boredom, during early elementary school but nothing major or unfairly called out on. He had the same issues at home or school. He has since been challenged and matured. DD is one of those accommodating kids that teachers love.

I can't say it exist for us smile
Posted By: petunia Re: Redhead Syndrom? - 11/20/12 11:00 PM
I don't have personal experience with this so can't really weigh in except to say that I don't think "trouble" when I see a redhead. A friend of mine, who is a redhead, told me she read an article that redheads are more sensitive to pain, which I guess could make them act out more.
Posted By: Eibbed Re: Redhead Syndrom? - 11/20/12 11:16 PM
I just think that they have beautiful hair. I had no idea that there was any bias towards red-headed children until I heard the term "ginger". I have heard people say that there has been teasing, etc., based on that but I've never seen it.
Posted By: HowlerKarma Re: Redhead Syndrom? - 11/20/12 11:30 PM
My stepsister is a gorgeous redhead. (And trouble with a capital T).

No connection between the two, so far as I can see. Nor is she more tempermental than anyone else in the family. wink The blondes are just as volatile as the redheads around here.

Posted By: eldertree Re: Redhead Syndrom? - 11/24/12 04:05 PM
I think only to a certain point.

If a number of kids are acting out, the one most easily identifiable will probably get nailed for it first-- the only kid of one race in a group of others, the only redhead, the boy who's six feet tall in fifth grade because of an early growth spurt. I haven't found, though, that the "redhead syndrome" works so that kids get in trouble undeservedly.

signed,
eldertree, the ginger
Posted By: daytripper75 Re: Redhead Syndrom? - 11/24/12 04:13 PM
I don't think so. My dd is a redhead and is well liked and cited as "a pleasure to have in class.'
Posted By: St. Margaret Re: Redhead Syndrom? - 11/24/12 09:37 PM
As a high school teacher in California, I've seen that the kids made a big deal about it. They called this one kid a ginger and teased him in a friendly way--but I got the sense that he was pretty popular and it was something that he cultivated himself for attention. I think it was a southpark thing. And he wasn't in extra trouble with me, tho he had a 504 and special seating and I made allowances for his sometimes moving around more etc.
Posted By: CCN Re: Redhead Syndrom? - 11/25/12 02:27 AM
My DH is one and was singled out and picked on, but my DS who got his hair from his dad is regarded as friendly and good natured, and well liked by teachers and fellow students. So... who knows. lol
Posted By: JonLaw Re: Redhead Syndrom? - 11/25/12 05:40 AM

In college, I learned that it was not a good idea to date redheads named Ginger.
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum