Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: trinaninaphoenix partial homeschooling - 11/24/11 12:26 AM
My 5 year old daughter has been in Kindergarten for this school year at a public school. She is not learning as quickly because she was last year and all summer. We have fought the school till she is now in first grade reading and they said that they would work on math with her in the class till they can get her in a first grade class. I have her doing reading eggs for reading, jumpstart for math and she works in first grade workbooks at home and when she is bored at school. Is there anyone who knows anyother things we can do at home to keep her learning?
Posted By: frannieandejsmom Re: partial homeschooling - 11/24/11 12:32 AM
We have ds (kinder) read to us every day AND we read to him. We are working on several different math workbooks at home. We have singapore 2a and the corresponding word problem book. We have kuman multiplication, which he breezed through the book. We also have math for the gifted second grader which we love. We have a easel chalkboard that we use for challenge math (I also have a 2nd grader). Right now we are adding and subtracting fractions and talking about improper fractions. We are just touching on multiplying fractions. We love using pies and coins to help with fractions and decimals.

I wish our school would do a pull out or push in for math. We were promised first grade and possibly second grade math for ds, but that all flew out the window. We are waiting for winter MAP to see our progress and then go back to see what they will do for ds.

hth

Sheila
Posted By: trinaninaphoenix Re: partial homeschooling - 11/24/11 01:51 AM
We were told math was a possibility but they arent going to even think of moving her till January. So I dont know if they will but they do pull her for reading now. Thanks for more math ideas she really loves math so much more than reading and they are challenging her in reading so I am ok with that.
Posted By: Tallulah Re: partial homeschooling - 11/24/11 04:28 AM
We also use Singapore math, and the math for the gifted child books from B&N. We use khan academy and various online games. Edward Zaccaro's challenge math and various puzzles like sudoku and logic grids are good too. I also read a lot about unschooling, and take their ideas to use. So we talk about lots of things, and do activities that are interesting, and follow up on interests.
Posted By: doclori Re: partial homeschooling - 11/28/11 01:18 PM
Originally Posted by Tallulah
So we talk about lots of things, and do activities that are interesting, and follow up on interests.

So do we. I always wonder whether it's my parenting style that has me explaining all sorts of issues in-depth to my kids, or whether it's my curious kids who demand answers that I then provide.
Posted By: trinaninaphoenix Re: partial homeschooling - 11/28/11 09:59 PM
My kids always ask questions. If I dont keep them doing something they get in trouble so we are always doing stuff and learning things.
Posted By: BWBShari Re: partial homeschooling - 11/28/11 10:40 PM
Since they have accelerated her reading, is it better? I would recommend using after school time to teach all the things that school doesn't believe is needed until 3rd or 4th grade. Science, History, Music etc. How about starting a new language? We have used Rosetta Stone with great success at that age.

Ask your daughter to choose something that interests her, then dive in, dig deeper than you ever thought you could. Ad nauseum, then choose another. There is an old post on here called "learning on a line". Basically it is the willingness to follow wherever the line leads.

An example of this would be studying the Vikings. In addition to the people in general, take your daughter to the kitchen and make a viking meal. Their longboats were 60 feet long. Get a string and measure 60 feet. Look at the propulsion, rowing and have your daughter explore other methods such as sails. Build a sailboat, test drive it in the tub. From there it is a natural jump to wind power which will lead you to alternative fuels ie: solar power..... Follow the line, Wherever!! It's amazing where you will end up and what your daughter will get to explore.

By letting her choose the initial subject, she will be invested in the success of your project. As time goes on, she will become more and more adept and choosing what comes next. The kids love this!
Posted By: trinaninaphoenix Re: partial homeschooling - 12/04/11 09:37 PM
Thanks I never thought of doing it that way. Right now she is into Princess' and mermaids and fairy tales so we can do reading lessons on those and learn about midevil times for princess' and kings.
Posted By: BWBShari Re: partial homeschooling - 12/06/11 02:51 AM
Along with Kings and Queens, you can study the ocean along with mermaids. That will lead you in lots of directions!
Posted By: trinaninaphoenix Re: partial homeschooling - 12/12/11 06:18 AM
Thank you.
Posted By: trinaninaphoenix Re: partial homeschooling - 12/12/11 06:20 AM
She does do better at school with the accelerated reading. We havent used rosetta stone. I have thought about it.
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum