Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: ginger234 Online classes - 06/29/11 03:19 AM
DD14 is taking Spanish I online this summer as required for the Pre-IB program. She is not the type of person who learns well on her own. She needs discussion, projects, PEOPLE--especially when it is a subject that she has never worked on before. Her instructor is fairly non-responsive--copy & paste replies, no real feedback. I have no idea how many students she has. I just emailed the head of the IB program for the county asking if there is any way dd could take Spanish I her freshman year.

Online learning may be great for some people; not so much for this child.

Posted By: Grinity Re: Online classes - 06/29/11 08:41 PM
Are there any local places where Spanish speaking people are? Perhaps making some new friends would help the online course be more bearable?

I do agree that certian things are very hard to learn online, particularly for certian kids.

Best Wishes,
Grinity
Posted By: ginger234 Re: Online classes - 06/30/11 05:16 AM
That's a good idea, Grinity. We have quite a variety of ethnicities around here: Italians, Portuguese, Russian, Polish, Hispanic...I will have to look into that. (The Hispanic girls she knows from school are not particularly nice, unfortunately.) She did find out that a couple of girls who are going into PIB & already took Spanish are willing to help her out. And she has decided to stop being stubborn about accepting any & all offers!
Posted By: Grinity Re: Online classes - 06/30/11 10:36 AM
Originally Posted by ginger234
And she has decided to stop being stubborn about accepting any & all offers!
Awesome!!! That could be a wonderful life long lesson to take away from this whole experience.

Smiles,
Grinity
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum