Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: Wyatt "Trustful Parenting" Article - 02/25/10 04:48 PM
I'm interested in any comments to this article:

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...quire-alternative-conventional-schooling

I've included some of the text below. I'm unfamiliar with the Sudbury Model, and I've only read about unschooling on this forum. I wonder about the fit of gifted kids in Sudbury schools.

"The graduates of the school have been followed and documented more fully than have those of any other school I know of.[1] If any school has been proven to work, in terms of producing happy, effective adult citizens, it is Sudbury Valley."

"The democratic decision-making and judicial system, and the continuous age mixing, promote a level of nurturance, care, and safety that is exceedingly rare in other schools."

"You would send your child to such a school only if you are a trustful parent."

"For many parents, who do not have the choice of a Sudbury school, homeschooling may be the only alternative to conventional schooling."

"The brand of homeschooling most compatible with trustful parenting is that often referred to by its adherents as unschooling--a term coined in the 1970s by John Holt, in his magazine Growing Without Schooling."
Posted By: Breakaway4 Re: "Trustful Parenting" Article - 02/25/10 05:27 PM
Wyatt,

I read the article and went to the Sudbury Valley website. I am interested enough that I am considering doing and interview/visit. This school is a couple of hours away but may be worth a move.
Posted By: no5no5 Re: "Trustful Parenting" Article - 02/25/10 05:52 PM
I _love_ the idea of free/Sudbury schools. They are probably the only schools that could seriously tempt me to give up my plan to unschool. smile
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum