Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: elizabethmom Florida Virtual School experiences? - 06/17/09 07:03 PM
Hi all,
I was wondering if anyone has tried FLVS - even though my DD9 is skipping 4 and will only be in 5th, the principal of the school said she'd let us try the middle school classes.
Specifically, I'd like to know how many hours per week a class takes, I don't want to overload my daughter.
It is free, so maybe worth a try!
Posted By: DorothyS Re: Florida Virtual School experiences? - 06/17/09 07:40 PM
I don't have any personal experience with it, but they do showcase it a lot of PBS and I have watched the episode. They show children that are taking classes, parents, and educators. There is quite a bit of information on their website too. They have real classrooms experiences available in our county too. What school district are you in?
Posted By: elizabethmom Re: Florida Virtual School experiences? - 06/18/09 03:56 AM
We are in Clay. I have a friend who loved the program for her teens, but the HS AP class experience is probably different than the middle school ones.
Posted By: DorothyS Re: Florida Virtual School experiences? - 06/19/09 02:03 PM
I have an aquaintance who did it throughout middle school, but then in HS went back to a traditional school setting. I don't think the program was very academically demanding or time consuming. There doesn't seem to be a lot of choices of classes available.
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum