Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: Movingup6 BrainPop - Great tool for lesson intros - 05/17/09 12:39 AM
I want to share a cool resource I found for my DS6. It's called BrainPop. I've been using it for about a month (since I started homeschooling) and have found it to be a great tool for introducing lesson ideas. It is a subscription based program, but you can do a trial for free.

Basically, it breaks down complicated ideas into short, funny videos. They have videos that cover science, history, music, etc. All the videos are followed by short quizzes. You can choose graded or un-graded (which my son prefers since he's still recovering from a lot of bad feelings associated with tests at school).

Anyway, I hate to sound like a commercial, but we've enjoyed it so much I couldn't help but want to share with all of you, who have been so supportive of me since I joined this board.
Posted By: Kriston Re: BrainPop - Great tool for lesson intros - 05/17/09 01:16 AM
Do you have a link? It sounds good. And I think it's safe to say that we're happy to have testimonials from people we know and trust. smile Thanks!
Posted By: fangcyn Re: BrainPop - Great tool for lesson intros - 05/17/09 01:39 AM
The homeschool is providing it for free. It is a great resource and has many topics. DS likes to watch them over and over again.

Posted By: alaskan Re: BrainPop - Great tool for lesson intros - 05/17/09 02:32 AM
www.brainpop.com for older elementary
or www.brainpopjr.com for younger elementary

The nice thing is that you can have a free trial of each and then choose the appropriate level for your child. There is an option to turn on CC during the "movies".

Warning: Proved to be addictive for my child, who loves learning about new topics.
I want to add that you can access some of the brainpop material from the glencoe e-student sites. This is free for the time being and correlates to whatever material is covered in their textbooks for older elementary. Something similar is available for the yonger kids but it isn't brainpop.

If you are a member of the homeschool buyers co-op and purchase with their link you can earn points although there isn't a discount.
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum