Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: Pdxgft Writing support - 03/20/18 11:05 PM
My PG kid�s writing is frustrating for him and does not reflect his intellect/potential ability. It�s above grade level but he still needs more instruction and frankly more practice. What would you recommend? Would something like Sylvan Learning or another type of tutoring center be a good fit? We are looking to make a lot of headway in a short time frame. Thanks!
Posted By: arlen1 Re: Writing support - 03/21/18 06:42 PM
onlineg3 has writing classes (among others): see www.onlineg3.com/placement-and-progression, choose the 'Writing' tab. You could ask them what would be a good fit for your DC.

The classes are online (with voice and chat), synchronous. Some shorter classes are available during the summer.
Posted By: aquinas Re: Writing support - 03/21/18 10:11 PM
How old is your son, and what is the nature of the gap between his written output and cognitive needs? If you can provide some more information, our answers will be more helpful to his specific case.
Posted By: Pdxgft Re: Writing support - 03/30/18 11:20 AM
11 years old; not very fast at writing, doesn�t use same vocabulary as he does with speaking, unable to be very descriptive, he is unsatified with what he produces; I don�t think he�s had enough practice and guidance at school and I don�t think the bar is set high enough at school.
Posted By: sanne Re: Writing support - 03/31/18 01:37 AM
I was delighted to find the nearest Sylvan Learning to me had a tutor who homeschooled her (likely PG) kids and was active in Mensa. She and my son hit it off and she was just amazing with him. She does tutoring by Skype too last time I asked. I can PM her website to you if you're interested.

I looked up alternative writing processes to find one that helped my son see where he was getting stuck. The Cognitive Process Model was a good fit for my son. I had no idea there were multiple writing processes proposed until a desperate midnight google session. Finding a different writing process model was a breakthrough!
Posted By: aeh Re: Writing support - 03/31/18 02:42 AM
How is his written expression when allowed to use assistive technology? E.g., speech-to-text, keyboarding, spellcheck. There are numerous possible sticking points for writing, some of which are mechanical in nature (handwriting, letter formation, spelling, writing speed). Other aspects include idea generation, initiation, organization, and elaboration. You can try to scaffold various aspects of writing diagnostically, to see which kinds of support are most effective at helping his writing to approach his oral language.
Posted By: mary.ger Re: Writing support - 04/24/18 10:30 AM
Originally Posted by Pdxgft
My PG kid�s writing is frustrating for him and does not reflect his intellect/potential ability.

Don't give up on writing. I'm sure, your son really has potential! You only need time and some efforts. The best way to improve your writing skills is reading a lot of books, useful articles etc. He should probably try to write short essays on different topics.

Diligence is the mother of success.

Good luck!
Posted By: Pdxgft Re: Writing support - 08/12/18 04:30 AM
Yes please I would love the referal!
Posted By: Pdxgft Re: Writing support - 08/18/18 12:06 AM
Yes! I would love further info. Thanks so much!
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum