Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: Curiouser Homeschooling and gifted schools in MD - 03/15/16 08:27 PM
Hi,

We may very likely be moving to MD (anywhere from Baltimore to Bethesda) - Can you guys give me some info about great schools, homeschool (success) stories, co-ops etc etc? Point us in positive directions. We theoretically could homeschool. DS6 is PG and is currently in an incredible gifted school in PA but short of an insane commute, we are probably going to have to figure something else out. Please tell me there is hope.
Posted By: mom2R&R Re: Homeschooling and gifted schools in MD - 03/16/16 01:42 AM
I'm interested in this as well. We live in Montgomery county, about 30 minutes north of DC. Our DS6 is in first grade in one of the best public elementary schools in our county. So far we've been very pleased on the accommodations they've made in the classroom, but the official gifted program doesn't really start until 4th grade. I don't think our son is PG (he hasn't been tested yet), but I will say that each school's accommodations largely come down to the principal in Montgomery County. There is a large homeschool community and many private schools, but not many that specialize in gifted education. OP- is your son a DYS? Do they have recommendations for you?
Posted By: Ocelot Re: Homeschooling and gifted schools in MD - 03/16/16 01:59 AM
Are pricey DC private school an option? At least one or two used to do a nice job with HG+ kids. I'm no longer in that area though, so I may not have current info.
There is a tiny gifted school called http://feynmanschool.org/.

You may want to check it out and see whether it is similar to the one you are in now.

The DC private schools are not famous for rigor in the lower school years. By high school, there are lots of a good options. Montgomery county's Blair high school has a great STEM magnet options. The gifted program in elementary program is supposed to be the top 2-3 percent of the county, more selective than most gifted programs around the region. But it won't start until 4th grade.
mom2R&R, I sent you a PM.
Posted By: Curiouser Re: Homeschooling and gifted schools in MD - 03/16/16 10:31 PM
Originally Posted by mom2R&R
OP- is your son a DYS? Do they have recommendations for you?

Yes he is. We haven't contacted our family consultant yet...next to do on the list.

Thomas Percy - we called the Feynman School today - seems promising...we need to go and take a tour and see what it's all about. Do you have experience there?
I don't have any personal experience. I know of a precoious child whose parents sent him there for kindergarten. He was doing multiplication and division stuff before k.

It is a very new school. The highest grade is about 5 right now.
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum