Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: Mahagogo5 translating complaints from a 5 year old - 09/08/15 05:58 AM
so DD5 is in kindergarten and I thought she was loving it. She has excelled in LA so far as expected and is lagging a bit in math (unexpected).

The teacher is about 80% of the way to getting her so I'm delighted there. She has been fast tracked for reading and been given independent interest based projects to do - all good.

However the last month or so DD has woken up complaining about wanting to go to school. Complaints are that it is too hard, too long, that getting ready takes too much time away from doing her stuff in the morning and she misses me (hardly) etc etc. No mention of the dreaded B word though.

She seems happy on arrival at school and is fine once home (although quite hyperactive) so I don't think anything is serious yet but.... I'm wondering if anyone can save me a few months of trial and error and let me know if they have heard all this before.

I'm inclined to believe my NT parent friends who all say that its a stage every kid goes through when they realise school is permament, but I know DD can spiral.

So should I let it go or start investigating? BTW socially everything is fine according to dd and her teacher.
Posted By: AvoCado Re: translating complaints from a 5 year old - 09/09/15 03:45 AM
That's no good. How long's she been at school?
Sounds a lot like my DD about a month or two into a gifted pullout when she was 6 - complaining it was too hard and she didn't want to go, too tiring, cut too much into her day etc etc. I had a word to the teacher who assured me it was definitely not too hard for her, and DD got over it after a couple of weeks. Personally I think it was the shock of being challenged for a change
We've always had that with both kids -- once the excitement wears off, they don't want to do something, *when* they aren't there. Once they're there, and involved, it's ok -- they just don't want to *go* there. Being there is fine. Whatever it is.

So it may look cruel from the outside, but I just make them go.
That's great, thankyou both. I had hoped that would be the common experience!
Posted By: Cookie Re: translating complaints from a 5 year old - 09/09/15 01:12 PM
My younger son has always had a problem going....going to take a shower, yet singing and telling himself stories and having a grand time once in the water. Going to sports practice, whatever....he dreads most stuff yet jumps right in once there. I wouldn't call it a problem changing from one activity to another it is a bit different but sort of.
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum