Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: ultramarina New issue with careless math errors - 04/20/15 11:41 AM
DD11 has actually always been a very good "mechanical" math student, learning calculations with ease, but sometimes struggling with word problems or thinking outside the box. She is doing 6th grade gifted math in 5th right now, so only a year ahead (this is what they all do in her program). I think her teacher is pretty good.

Recently I'm seeing her applying formulas and concepts correctly but making a lot of mistakes in her "small stuff"--the calculations that have to be done to finish the problems. Some of it is stupid things like writing too small and misreading her own handwriting. But some of it is things like making 4 x 3 be 7 in a larger multiplication problem, forgetting she's working with a decimal in a division problem, missing a carried 1, etc. This is unlike her, since she's usually meticulous. Do we think this would be because she's being challenged by the conceptual math and having less time/brain space for the grunt work? What would explain a child suddenly having more problems with this? She isn't really sure what's happening, but the work has definitely gotten harder. This teacher grades hard, so she will miss 2/3 points on a problem where she did everything else right but made a calculation mistake like 4 x 3 is 7. (Maybe that's typical....I don't know.) Her grades are still okay, but it's frustrating. I'm wondering if it would help her to sit and do some drills in long, complex multiplication and division (I especially see dumb errors in difficult long division--she seems to crack up a little under pressure...but she did perfectly with this when it was taught as a stand-alone skill) or if that is the wrong thing. She's frustrated, too.

We have never really suspected any LDs with this one (she is a straight A student in a program where this is rare), but there has been the possibility of mild inattentive ADHD. In general, though, attention (ironically) is the area where we don't see many problems. She shows the emotional symptoms, not really the attentional ones.
Posted By: KADmom Re: New issue with careless math errors - 04/20/15 12:03 PM
DS13 is experiencing the same change. He used to be meticulous to a fault (slowed him down and he wouldn't move on to another problem until he figured the first one out.)
He advanced two grades in math and I think in an effort to keep up, he's making simple errors. So...what we've done is give him more practice and ask him to do out all of the steps on paper. When he'd do some or most of it in his head, there would be more room for mistakes. It's a matter of slowing him down, teaching him to go back and plug answers back in to see if they make sense.

Good luck, Ultramarina. I think it's easier for these kinds of mistakes to happen because math suddenly has so many more steps.
Posted By: ultramarina Re: New issue with careless math errors - 04/20/15 12:28 PM
I found this:

http://blogs.psychcentral.com/alway...udent-make-these-careless-math-mistakes/

I think we are definitely looking at the first issue (student is under pressure). We could consider this a good thing! DD has found math easy for 5.5 years of school, up till right about now! She is finally hitting some challenge. However, it's a little annoying, which leaves us with the issue of...what now?
Posted By: NCPMom Re: New issue with careless math errors - 04/20/15 01:31 PM
My ds11 is taking 8th grade accelerated math in 6th grade - he can do the work easily, but his downfall is still his silly mistakes. He's still getting an A overall, somehow, so I'm not worried - in fact, I'm happy that he isn't getting 100% in everything, as that means there's always room for improvement smile
Posted By: TX G Mom Re: New issue with careless math errors - 04/20/15 02:42 PM
My DD(just turned 12) has a double grade skip and is taking Honors Algebra I that counts for high school credit. Because of the skips, we are seeing a few gaps. In addition, our DD has a super fast processing speed, and can do almost all the work in her head. However, that being said, she will make careless mistakes. The math problems are now more complex, and showing her work really slows her down (which she hates). So, in summary, what we are seeing is math gaps due to acceleration, problems getting more complex, and a speed demon still trying to race through everything. smile I'm still hoping this will improve with age!

Good luck!
Posted By: Quantum2003 Re: New issue with careless math errors - 04/20/15 09:41 PM
It's funny but I was thinking about this a couple of months back in a somewhat different context. I had come across a high school student advising a younger student who was complaining that but for his many silly mistakes he would have made honor roll on the AMC10. The advising student pointed out that many of his "silly mistakes" were likely due to his lack of true mastery of the mathematical concepts as well as lack of facility with solving complex problems. He pointed out that he himself rarely make silly mistakes on the AMC10 and AMC12, but that he used to make lots of them a couple of years back when he was merely familiar with these same concepts and relatively inexperienced in solving complex problems. Anyhow, I think he is correct. If it is taking too much of your brain power to understand and solve the problem, it is much easier to make one simple calculation error among the many required calculations.

I don't think that it is computational practice that your DD needs unless she has not already mastered her math facts. Obviously, fast and accurate recall of math facts may help reduce computational errors; however, I think that she has to develop a deeper understanding of new math concepts as well as automate certain procedural steps. For example, the ability to glance at an answer and see that it doesn't make sense in the case of decimals or automate Divide-Multiply-Subtract-Bring Down (Daddy-Mommy-Sister-Brother) so she doesn't even have to consciously think it anymore.
Posted By: ultramarina Re: New issue with careless math errors - 04/20/15 10:37 PM
The advising student pointed out that many of his "silly mistakes" were likely due to his lack of true mastery of the mathematical concepts as well as lack of facility with solving complex problems. He pointed out that he himself rarely make silly mistakes on the AMC10 and AMC12, but that he used to make lots of them a couple of years back when he was merely familiar with these same concepts and relatively inexperienced in solving complex problems.

I definitely am considering this possibility as well. The interesting thing is that DD is one of those kids who learned her "facts" instantly and effortlessly, and was always strong with computation. However, I do see that sometimes she doesn't see the forest for the trees and misses things that should have let her know her answers were wrong. I like the emphasis they put these days on "Is my answer sensible?" but DD often doesn't seem to see that stuff. It concerns me in that I sometimes feel she is a little "math robot" without as much deeper understanding. I still feel confused about her true math aptitude all the time--she has flashes of real strength but other times I see surprisingly weak skills.

ETA: Like a poster above, she also will rely too much on doing things in her head and suffer for it. She dislikes "writing too much down." This is probably classic giftie.
Posted By: Val Re: New issue with careless math errors - 04/20/15 11:00 PM
It's possible that this is simply a normal part of the developmental arc. Doing straightforward computations that all require the same technique on a worksheet is very different from having to apply two or more different techniques in a word problem or other problem. Sometimes the correct approach isn't obivous, and it can be difficult to pick the correct technique from a large-ish array of them.

Practice and increasing confidence (which comes with practice) may be the key here.

Posted By: ruazkaz Re: New issue with careless math errors - 04/20/15 11:12 PM
Perhaps you can get her to work with Alcumus or ForTheWin on the artofproblemsolving.com website. It might help her with the deeper understanding of the math.
Posted By: ultramarina Re: New issue with careless math errors - 04/20/15 11:58 PM
She is picking the correct techniques (the link I posted was not quite right in that regard) but just making various small errors. I think it really is probably just an increase in what is being required of her, and she's not quite caught up yet. She's far from failing...just not powering through as usual. As I said, this could be seen as very good, except that what's getting her isn't really the "big stuff." But in the end, it might be that it IS--because the effort that is taking her leaves her out of "power" for the rest of it.

She is due to get some fantastic math teachers in middle school...very well-reviewed. I'm hoping they can wake up some deeper understanding and animate the robot a little. wink
Posted By: mecreature Re: New issue with careless math errors - 04/21/15 01:41 PM
Originally Posted by Val
Practice and increasing confidence (which comes with practice) may be the key here.
I agree with Val and think this is Normal.

My ds12 is in Honors Algebra I. He has struggled a bit with silly mistakes but is getting much better. It seemed half of his mistakes was an absent or misplaced negatives. Other mistake were very simple calculations also. He gets plenty/a lot of homework but struggles sometimes with doing only what is assigned and not reviewing on his own. Again, recently he is doing much better and out of the blue his hand writing is much better and organized which is probably helping.

Posted By: HowlerKarma Re: New issue with careless math errors - 04/21/15 03:58 PM
I would like to add that for some people, this kind of thing seems VERY much to be an executive issue-- which means that those people simply need to learn to write MORE of their work out, and check it more meticulously, than those whose executive function develops earlier.

I was not one of those people, incidentally, but DH and DD both are.

DH made far, far fewer of these mistakes when a graduate student (he was older), and DD makes a ton of them and always has. It's greatly exacerbated by her acceleration, which places those executive demands under significantly higher load than "age appropriate" if that makes sense.

This is one of those quirky results, IMO.
Posted By: Val Re: New issue with careless math errors - 04/21/15 04:41 PM
Originally Posted by mecreature
My ds12 is in Honors Algebra I. He has struggled a bit with silly mistakes but is getting much better. It seemed half of his mistakes was an absent or misplaced negatives. Other mistake were very simple calculations also. He gets plenty/a lot of homework but struggles sometimes with doing only what is assigned and not reviewing on his own. Again, recently he is doing much better and out of the blue his hand writing is much better and organized which is probably helping.

This topic came up last night when I was talking to my daughter. She told me that when she has do a problem that's new and different, "everything just gets muddled up," and "it's like there's an oak tree and a redwood tree and a maple tree and apple tree, but all I can see is TREES." I think she was trying to say that she can't see the individual trees for the forest.
Posted By: ultramarina Re: New issue with careless math errors - 04/21/15 05:21 PM
One particular one that I see which seems so...fixable is that her tiny handwriting is not "straight" and numbers end up drifting around such that she adds carried digits to the wrong columns or whatever. This is in addition to your classic 7/1/4 mix-ups due to messy/tiny numbers. This math teacher had them using graph paper for scratch work at the beginning of the year, for just this reason. Wonder if I should see if she wants to use it for tests....

Posted By: Quantum2003 Re: New issue with careless math errors - 04/21/15 06:15 PM
When given the choice, DS also tends to solve a lot of problems, even many difficult AMC ones in his head. I have suggested to him that he at least jot down some basics to save time if he intends to go back and check. That logic has persuaded him to at least try to jot down some stuff more often that he otherwise would. Regarding illegible writing, DS is notorious in that regard, but has improved a bit;it has helped when I pushed him to not "conserve" paper - instead of using tiny patches of white space on the test page or scrap paper, I encouraged him to grab a new sheet of scrap paper.
Posted By: ultramarina Re: New issue with careless math errors - 04/21/15 06:45 PM
Posted By: ultramarina Re: New issue with careless math errors - 04/21/15 06:51 PM
Yes!! She wants to save paper!! I told her that though we do encourage that ethos, it is really ALL RIGHT to use an extra sheet of scrap paper on her math test! wink

I should note that I do not see DD as a highly math-talented child. She is surely honors math, but not an AMC type of kid. What I want is for her to attain the kind of math skill and competence she needs to reach other goals, which could certainly include a science career (she is passionate about science). IOW, I do not plan to force her into BC calculus at 14 or whatever (I am exaggerating a bit, but our district offers many advanced math tracks), BUT I would really hate for her to get off course or to start thinking she is incompetent. Right now, she is kind of frustrated, and next year she will ramp up into a truly advanced program.
Posted By: Quantum2003 Re: New issue with careless math errors - 04/21/15 09:54 PM
Actually, I think every GT level math kid by 6th grade should try AMC type problems although not necessarily in the stressful rush of a competition setting. DD, who is not mathy, has been doing the AMC 8 competition since 4th grade. She scores above average, just not enough for any award levels, but that is not the point. I push her to do it for the reasons you stated and because I find the level of math practice in her classrooms insufficient. While there are plenty of word problems and the occasional non-routine problem in her curriculum, I don't think that she is getting enough exposure to develop real problem-solving skills.
Posted By: ruazkaz Re: New issue with careless math errors - 04/21/15 10:29 PM
Funny you mention the issue with saving paper. My son is terrible about it and tries to fill in every small space before he is finished with it. I am a big reduce, reuse, recycler but I push him to use as much paper as he needs for his math problems...
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum