Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: Ds17 gifted teen - 10/28/08 04:58 AM
We had our 16 year old son tested this year at the request of his new private boarding school only to find out he is Mod. gifted. This explained why he would not stay in public school system last year, he was so bored.
Our problem now is that son did not want to stay at private school due to its structure......he liked the classes but felt too restricted in his off time.
I am looking at home schooling him now but concerned because I am not sure I can keep him interested or motivated.
I live in Michigan. Any suggestions ?
Posted By: Lorel Re: gifted teen - 10/28/08 12:23 PM
Look for this book, "The Teenage Liberation handbook" by Grace Llewellyn. Think about community college courses, online learning, volunteer work. Good luck!
Posted By: cym Re: gifted teen - 10/28/08 11:30 PM
Only you can judge what freedom in his off time means. Teen agers like to "hang out" (mine plays a lot of golf and ping pong and soccer or free running) but I drool about the opportunities available at a private boarding school. I think...debate team or newspaper or clubs, another language, or other sports to try. It is such a scary time (when I had too much "free time" as a teenager a hundred yrs ago, I usually was up to no good). Right now I think structure is something my DS (sophomore) craves. He stayed home from school today because of mouth surgery and he asked me "What do I need to do today?" after the first hour. After vacuuming the house and practicing piano, I let him get good and bored. I doubt he'll be interested in staying home tomorrow. There are scholarship applications/essays to write even as a sophomore, contests/competitions, community service.

All the extra free time DS had today went to xbox--what a waste!
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum