Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: MegMeg Gulp. I did it. - 11/03/14 03:13 PM
I won't bore you with the saga, but more and more problems started appearing with the education DD6 is getting this year at Tiny Private School (which otherwise has many excellent qualities). So I did it. I pulled the plug.

My first official act as a homeschooling parent is letting her sleep in as long as she wants.

Later, at a much more civilized hour, we'll be going to her first day at the one-day-a-week public school I'm enrolling her in. (Essentially, a school for homeschoolers. It provides a community, some fun learning, the official mantle of school enrollment, and very little interference with how you want to educate your kid.)

This all went down about a week ago, and I was too overwhelmed to even post about it here. I think we're going to be okay, we just need to figure out our routine. I've already got a schedule roughed out where she's doing Awesome Stuff for blocks of time four days a week.

Am I showing my age if I say that Jethro Tull's Skating Away on the Thin Ice of a New Day is going through my head?
Posted By: gabalyn Re: Gulp. I did it. - 11/03/14 03:24 PM
Welcome to the wonderful world of gifted homeschooling! We love it!
Posted By: blackcat Re: Gulp. I did it. - 11/03/14 03:26 PM
Good for you--that's a big step.
Posted By: Bostonian Re: Gulp. I did it. - 11/03/14 04:06 PM
Originally Posted by MegMeg
Later, at a much more civilized hour, we'll be going to her first day at the one-day-a-week public school I'm enrolling her in. (Essentially, a school for homeschoolers. It provides a community, some fun learning, the official mantle of school enrollment, and very little interference with how you want to educate your kid.)
Good luck to you and your daughter. You are getting more institutional support for homeschooling than exists here, where your child is either enrolled in public school or effectively invisible to the district.
Posted By: ColinsMum Re: Gulp. I did it. - 11/03/14 07:51 PM
Scary! But I'm sure you'll make it work.
Posted By: puffin Re: Gulp. I did it. - 11/03/14 08:25 PM
I am deeply envious.
Posted By: aquinas Re: Gulp. I did it. - 11/03/14 08:42 PM
Exciting! Look forward to reading about your journey as it evolves.
Posted By: Mom2Two Re: Gulp. I did it. - 11/03/14 11:07 PM
Congratulations!

There might be hard days, but the journey will be worth it.
Posted By: DrummerLiz Re: Gulp. I did it. - 11/04/14 03:48 AM
Congratulations!! We made our decision a few days before the school year was ready to begin for our DS6. Also, a very long story! He is taking classes one day a week at an HG Co-op. Best decision we have made so far, although we've had a few rough days. I have been told by many wise homeschool parents that it takes a while but you'll find your groove.

PM me if you want to chat. smile
Posted By: DeeDee Re: Gulp. I did it. - 11/04/14 04:46 AM
MegMeg, she's lucky to have a parent who solves problems and forges ahead. You'll both be fine. :-)
Posted By: Tigerle Re: Gulp. I did it. - 11/04/14 07:02 AM
Originally Posted by MegMeg

What an amazing resource!
Posted By: indigo Re: Gulp. I did it. - 11/04/14 02:31 PM
one-day-a-week public school I'm enrolling her in. (Essentially, a school for homeschoolers. It provides a community, some fun learning, the official mantle of school enrollment...
Are there other options such as a home school co-op or a private school with a "University model"?

There may be a downside to this public school since "the official mantle" of government schools may include tracking progress, collecting/sharing student data, mandating testing, and overseeing or dictating to parents. You may wish to keep well informed of this school's policy and practice, including any changes.
Posted By: MegMeg Re: Gulp. I did it. - 11/04/14 04:08 PM
Indigo, no worries. The school has been around for decades and is beloved by homeschooling families all over the county. The consultant teachers homeschool their own kids. (I think as a public school they are obliged to do the standardized testing, and everybody opts out.)
Posted By: MegMeg Re: Gulp. I did it. - 11/04/14 04:13 PM
Thanks, everyone! (First day at homeschool school was fun, but predictably, DD is agitating to be bumped up to the next group level!)
Posted By: Mahagogo5 Re: Gulp. I did it. - 11/04/14 05:49 PM
Originally Posted by puffin
I am deeply envious.

me too!
Posted By: Madoosa Re: Gulp. I did it. - 11/11/14 01:14 PM
how exciting! give you and her time to relax into it and you will both be just fine smile
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum