Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: Madoosa Grade Level checklist? - 09/23/14 11:35 AM
Aiden asked me what grade level he is working on currently. The only checklists I can find online are our local ones and the US common core ones. Is there another one that anyone knows of that would be useful to use? Ideally I think I need lists for Grade 4 - 6
Posted By: KTPie Re: Grade Level checklist? - 09/23/14 11:48 AM
A homeschooling friend recently mentioned the Hirsch ones to me. He wrote the "What Your ____ Grader Should Know" books and I believe they predate common core. I haven't used/read them so I cannot vouch for them but I know they were recommended to her by several people.
Posted By: Cookie Re: Grade Level checklist? - 09/23/14 11:55 AM
These are not checklists but I used them when I was homeschooling to prove to myself that I wasn't letting my kid fall behind. They just made me feel good that oh ihave covered that and oh he knows that and some days I just picked something random out of the book and went over it as a fun side learning activity. I didn't think of it at all as a curriculum or as a some sort of authority check list. This is just a resource that you might like and might not. (Maybe I shouldn't even post this I am so defensive about it.

It is a series of books. Don't know anything about the revised editions I am sure I wouldn't like them.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0385312601/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?qid=1411473123&sr=8-3&pi=SY200_QL40

Posted By: Kai Re: Grade Level checklist? - 09/23/14 12:31 PM
There's this: www.worldbook.com/typical-course-of-study. There is also the book Home Learning Year by Year by Rebecca Rupp.

The problem with these types of checklists is that determining what grade level a kid is working at is much more complicated than looking at what subjects they're studying or what books they're reading.
Posted By: Madoosa Re: Grade Level checklist? - 09/23/14 07:42 PM
thanks everyone! I will check these out smile

Kai - that's exactly it! And when you add in asynchronous behaviour and learning patterns it's just a whole ball of fun. Usually I tell him you are between grade x and y. And he can see what grade Dreambox says and what grade is written on the front of a variety of workbooks that are strewn around. I kind of get stuff that I think he would find interesting and challenging and that leaves a rather large gap between the two.
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum