Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: TNC Connections Academy questions - 07/01/14 02:10 PM
I am in the process of figuring out what to do with DD5 for K next year and we have the FLVS full time available here through Connections Academy. I am primarily interested in FLVS for the acreditation, but am trying to figure out if it is worth it.
DD5 is currently doing 3rd grade reading and math. I am waiting to hear back from SpecEd regarding how their assessment process works. Basically I feel like I am not asking the right questions because the response I keep getting is enroll your daughter and give us all her psych evals and then we will begin the process of answering your questions about evaluation and acceleration...oh and that nebulous eval period could take months. I would love any BTDT advice you all could offer.
Posted By: HowlerKarma Re: Connections Academy questions - 07/01/14 04:02 PM
I sent you a PM
Posted By: NikiHarp Re: Connections Academy questions - 07/01/14 05:09 PM
I'm interested as well smile
Posted By: TNC Re: Connections Academy questions - 07/02/14 12:14 AM
I am still learning myself, but I'd be happy to share what little I know. What are you looking to learn?
Posted By: 22B Re: Connections Academy questions - 07/02/14 01:34 AM
Why does a 5yo need accreditation?

Any reason to consider virtual school rather than home school?
Posted By: HowlerKarma Re: Connections Academy questions - 07/02/14 01:50 AM
Well... a 5-6yo that is attempting to access appropriate levels of enrichment in extracurriculars might well "need" that kind of accreditation.

Look, it says here that this book club is open to third graders. My child is a third grader. Where do I sign up? What? Oh, no-- she's in a public school, not homeschooled.

Believe me, I've had that particular conversation. wink

Posted By: TNC Re: Connections Academy questions - 07/02/14 02:19 PM
22B, we tend to move a lot b/c of DH's job. I think we very well may be up against the "how could your 6 year old be doing 5th grade work...oh, right, you homeschool, so how about 1st grade..." conversation. I am not sure virtual school is the answer for ever, but hopefully for the next year or two. Since homeschool rules vary from state to state and country to country an accredited system makes the most sense. Also, like HK said, we have already been denied access to extras based on age.
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum