Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: Ametrine Silly Putty Question - 06/20/13 06:31 PM
I need help with a question DS just asked me.

Why does Silly Putty bounce when you roll it into a ball, but not when it's flat?

I don't understand why any ball bounces, so that is where I need help.

(If you haven't already noticed, I'm not gifted. Duh.)
Posted By: 22B Re: Silly Putty Question - 06/20/13 06:35 PM
That's a silly Silly Putty question.
Posted By: geofizz Re: Silly Putty Question - 06/20/13 06:45 PM
It's pretty perceptive to realize that understanding why any ball bounces is the first step to answering the question.

Stretch an elastic band. By stretching it, you are changing its shape. Because it's elastic, it bounces back when you let go.

When a ball hits the ground, the ball changes shape at the point of contact. Because the ball is bouncy (duh, that's what makes it a bouncy ball), the elastic energy in the ball bounces back, pushes back against the floor, and pops up.

Silly putty has aspects of both an elastic object (bounces back) and a plastic object (something that changes shape and stays that way). When it's a ball, the deformation is all right where it touches the floor -- check it, there'll be a flat spot where it hit -- but there's enough elasticity in the nature of Silly Putty for it to bounce back. When the SP is flattened, the contact with the ground changes the shape plastically more than elastically, not leaving enough "spring" for it to bounce.

(I actually teach elastic vs plastic behavior using silly putty in my university classes...)
Posted By: Ametrine Re: Silly Putty Question - 06/20/13 06:45 PM
Originally Posted by 22B
That's a silly Silly Putty question.
grin

Thinking about it some...Playdoh doesn't bounce when it's rolled into a ball. Perhaps Silly Putty does because of the chemical make-up? Some sort of rubber?

Posted By: Ametrine Re: Silly Putty Question - 06/20/13 06:49 PM
Wow! Thanks for that explanation. smile

Now to have DS read it and see if he understands.
Posted By: Ametrine Re: Silly Putty Question - 06/20/13 07:03 PM
He seems to understand. I think I'll get a ball of rubber bands to explore this more.

He read the explanation only needing help with the pronunciation of "elasticity". He said, "elas tick it e". smile

Posted By: Zen Scanner Re: Silly Putty Question - 06/20/13 07:18 PM
Oh, but it gets even better with Silly Putty... Silly putty is composed of a non-newtonian liquid which have awesome properties.

Alternate test:
Drop a metal ball onto flattened Silly Putty from various heights. At some height the force of impact will compel the Silly Putty into its elastic behavior and the ball will bounce. This shows that it is a question of the material properties reaction to force and not strictly a shape question.

He may also enjoy making a non-newtonian liquid using just corn starch and cold water. Stir a lot of cornstarch into the water until when the spoon moves too quickly it gets stuck. If he taps the surface with his finger at various speeds he'll get the transition effect. Fun but not as elastic as Silly Putty.
Posted By: JonLaw Re: Silly Putty Question - 06/20/13 07:21 PM
Silly putty trick!

Posted By: HowlerKarma Re: Silly Putty Question - 06/20/13 07:42 PM
Yay! Go MatSci!

Non-Newtonian fluids are a kid's best friend, I always say.

You can, however, bounce a ball off of the cornstarch-water version.

The Mythbusters have done some fun things with non-Newtonian fluids.
Posted By: HowlerKarma Re: Silly Putty Question - 06/20/13 07:44 PM
If you are REALLY keen to explore this-- make your own silly putty. If you vary the amount of catalyst, you can get a variety of cross-linking/doping in the resultant material, which produces varying macroscopic properties.

It's one of the clearest demonstrations of intuitive stat mech that I know of, in fact.

DD always found it just slightly off-putting that this kind of thing turns BOTH of her parents into giddy and slightly scary geeky people who are willing to try just about anything to 'see what happens' by the way. blush

Posted By: Val Re: Silly Putty Question - 06/20/13 07:57 PM
Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
DD always found it just slightly off-putting that this kind of thing turns BOTH of her parents into giddy and slightly scary geeky people who are willing to try just about anything to 'see what happens' by the way. blush

My high school chemistry teacher was like that. He had some spare elemental sodium lying around. As in a big chunk of it. I mean, a big honking chunk. He decided it was dangerous and that he should dispose of it.

Field trip!

So he took the sodium and chemistry class to the bridge over the river in town and used a catapult-like device to fling it in.

A big bubble formed and then there was a big explosion. It was very cool and everyone cheered.

Here's a youtube video using a small chunk. I like the American flag at the end. It was a nice touch.
Posted By: geofizz Re: Silly Putty Question - 06/20/13 08:09 PM
Did you know you can by SP by the pound?

http://www.crayolastore.com/product/12060
Posted By: Zen Scanner Re: Silly Putty Question - 06/20/13 08:13 PM
Originally Posted by geofizz

Thank you! That has put me in a surreally good mood. I don't actually see myself buying it, but somehow knowing that I could makes the world a better place.
Posted By: CCN Re: Silly Putty Question - 06/20/13 10:01 PM
Originally Posted by Val

My high school chemistry teacher was like that.

My eight year old son is like that, lol. (Sometimes it gets him into trouble).
Posted By: Ametrine Re: Silly Putty Question - 06/20/13 11:40 PM
Originally Posted by Val

My high school chemistry teacher was like that. He had some spare elemental sodium lying around. As in a big chunk of it. I mean, a big honking chunk. He decided it was dangerous and that he should dispose of it.

Field trip!

So he took the sodium and chemistry class to the bridge over the river in town and used a catapult-like device to fling it in.

A big bubble formed and then there was a big explosion. It was very cool and everyone cheered.

Here's a youtube video using a small chunk. I like the American flag at the end. It was a nice touch.

This brought Ms. Frizzle to mind. (Wonder what design she would have on her outfit?)
Posted By: Ametrine Re: Silly Putty Question - 06/20/13 11:44 PM
Originally Posted by Zen Scanner

Thank you! That has put me in a surreally good mood. I don't actually see myself buying it, but somehow knowing that I could makes the world a better place.

What would put me in a good mood is if Silly Putty would still lift off comics from the newspapers. I don't know if the compound changed, or if the inks used on the papers have. Either way, it's a downer.
Posted By: Ametrine Re: Silly Putty Question - 06/20/13 11:51 PM
Originally Posted by JonLaw
Silly putty trick!

Why didn't I know about this for father's day? My retired electronics engineer dad would laugh. (Not an easy reaction to elicit from the reticent guy.)
Posted By: Nik Re: Silly Putty Question - 06/21/13 01:16 PM
Originally Posted by JonLaw
Silly putty trick!

TOO COOL! If only you could buy this stuff by the pound. How many pounds would it take to engulf a car? Would the car then bounce? or would hail then bounce off the car? Must. get. some. now.
Posted By: HowlerKarma Re: Silly Putty Question - 06/21/13 01:28 PM
Originally Posted by Ametrine
Originally Posted by Zen Scanner

What would put me in a good mood is if Silly Putty would still lift off comics from the newspapers. I don't know if the compound changed, or if the inks used on the papers have. Either way, it's a downer.

It's the greener soy-based inks. No more really ugly organic solvents. Unfortunately, that means that they don't lift into a polymer-fluid like Silly Putty (or kneadable erasers, either).

Newspapers don't smell the same anymore, either. No more hexanolic aroma fresh out of the bag.... wink
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum