Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: suzette New to forum - Denver area advice? - 07/12/08 04:02 PM
Hi everyone!

I am new to the board and am very glad I found it!! It's been very interesting reading all of the posts......

I have a nine-year-old boy who tested GT in kindergarten, and the past few years have been a learning experience in regard to educational settings. Last week, we had him tested more indepth because he's beginning to have social issues at his school, and I'm trying to figure out - should he be placed in a "gifted" school, where maybe he feels more "normal"?

Anyway, his IQ places makes him eligible to attend a gifted school. We live in the Denver area; there are a few choices, none of which are close to our house. The testing center we used would not recommend a specific school/s - they simply gave us a list of what was available, and since then I've been researching. So I'm putting it out there to other parents - is there anyone here who lives in the Denver/Boulder, who might have had dealings with any of the gifted schools in the area? They seem to be quite different from one another.

Thanks so much in advance!

Suzette
Posted By: incogneato Re: New to forum - Denver area advice? - 07/12/08 04:51 PM
Hi Suzette,

I don't have any knowlege of the gifted schools there, but just wanted to say welcome.
Posted By: Kriston Re: New to forum - Denver area advice? - 07/12/08 05:06 PM
Sorry--we're not in Denver either, but welcome to the forum! smile
Posted By: ebeth Re: New to forum - Denver area advice? - 07/12/08 05:30 PM
Welcome Suzette,

We are not in the Denver area either, alas. (I miss the mountains!) But I was curious about how the gifted schools were different? There are a lot of people here with vastly different school experiences. Maybe if you tell us about your options, we can help? Or sometimes just talking it through yourself by posting can make a world of difference for your own understanding?

We are stuck in a public school, so I would personally love to hear about what gifted schools can provide.
Posted By: Cathy A Re: New to forum - Denver area advice? - 07/12/08 06:03 PM
Yes, tell us about your options--maybe I'll decide to move to Denver smile
Posted By: cym Re: New to forum - Denver area advice? - 07/12/08 07:20 PM
We have many friends & cousins in Denver & I'll ask--may take a few days to hear back. Cousins go to excellent public elementary (K-8) school, but never mention gifted. I'll ask. The Univ of Denver has the Center for Innovative & Talented Youth (CITY) program with cool-sounding programs on Saturdays, plus summer institutes.
Welcome Suzette. I have a friend who might be in that area, I'll ask her.
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum