Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: Staceyshoe Resources to self-teach chess? - 03/04/12 04:10 PM
Ds is interested in learning chess. Dh taught him how to move the pieces and has played a few games with him. I have no idea how to play. Ds is interested in really diving in and learning more and is very self-motivated. Are there any resources for teaching chess to yourself? Books? Computer games? Solitaire board games? I've seen a few things available, but I have no idea about whether they would be recommended products. Any recommendations for us?
Posted By: jack'smom Re: Resources to self-teach chess? - 03/04/12 04:32 PM
Chess.com is a great way to get better. They also have little lessons on opening moves, etc. You can buy lots of books like chess for dummies.
Posted By: Iucounu Re: Resources to self-teach chess? - 03/04/12 04:42 PM
I found Learn Chess by John Nunn to be exceptionally clear for a first book on chess. The Fritz and Chesster software titles are highly regarded, and Chessmaster may also be worth a look. Chess.com is definitely worth checking out. Susan Polgar has released a chess teaching guide for teachers and parents.
Posted By: hip Re: Resources to self-teach chess? - 03/04/12 05:35 PM
Fritz & Chesster volumes 1-3 (computer games).

Dd10 just downloaded a free app to my iPhone called Chess With Friends (free).
Posted By: Staceyshoe Re: Resources to self-teach chess? - 03/05/12 08:52 PM
Thank you! I will look forward to checking these out. It's so helpful to get recommendations from people instead of just blindly purchasing something that may or may be what we need.
Posted By: modbl Re: Resources to self-teach chess? - 03/05/12 09:17 PM
Try this "No Stress Chess" on Amazon. It has very good reviews.

http://www.amazon.com/Winning-Moves...mp;ie=UTF8&qid=1330982134&sr=1-1
Posted By: Camille Re: Resources to self-teach chess? - 03/05/12 09:53 PM
My son really enjoys a CD ROM called Chessmaster. It has a learner mode and shows you where the valid moves are. It also has an option for choosing pieces that are fanciful and fun.
Posted By: Iucounu Re: Resources to self-teach chess? - 03/05/12 11:03 PM
Originally Posted by modbl
Try this "No Stress Chess"
Note that the OP's son has already learned how to move the pieces.
Posted By: Raddy Re: Resources to self-teach chess? - 03/07/12 07:29 AM
There used to be a program called Lego Chess by...er...Lego.
Tutorials, nifty animations, different levels - quite brilliant. Not sure how available it is tho'
Posted By: ultramarina Re: Resources to self-teach chess? - 03/07/12 04:32 PM
FWIW, I know people like No Stress Chess, but DD7 and DS3 learned just fine without it and enjoy the game. Their parents are total clueless novices, so it wasn't our scaffolding that helped. DD does learn it in school, though.
Posted By: PCV Re: Resources to self-teach chess? - 03/29/12 11:18 PM
Perhaps you may find one of these chess links useful for your child wishing to learn how to play the game.

http://library.thinkquest.org/6290/

http://www.chesskid.com/

Posted By: Iucounu Re: Resources to self-teach chess? - 03/29/12 11:36 PM
Great links, PCV.
Posted By: jolene77 Re: Resources to self-teach chess? - 03/30/12 12:03 AM
My DS (10 years old) had his first chess tournament this last weekend so we spent last week preparing. He found it really helpful to just watch (and follow along)random YouTube videos. There are tons out there- and Free ;-).
He really liked the re-enactments of famous matches.
Posted By: ultramarina Re: Resources to self-teach chess? - 04/10/12 02:08 PM
I wonder if anyone knows of a computer chess option that has a very basic, easy level? My DS4 has gotten frustrated with the chess website we've been using because he never wins. ( He doesn't have to win all the time!--just once in a while. When he plays with us, he does win occasionally. He probably plays more like a typical 6-7yo, to give you an idea of where he is.)
Posted By: Iucounu Re: Resources to self-teach chess? - 04/10/12 03:28 PM
Hmm. IIRC "Chess Titans", which comes with Windows 7, is very easy to beat on the lowest level.

In addition there is a good little free chess program for Android phones called "Chess for Android", by Aart Bik, that is very easy on the lowest levels, and even offers a level where the computer plays by randomly choosing any legal move. Chess for Android also offers optional move hints (once a piece is selected, target squares it can reach are shown in green) and can be used as a portable chess board for two human players in its "free play/analysis" mode.
Posted By: ultramarina Re: Resources to self-teach chess? - 04/10/12 07:32 PM
Man, that Chess for Android thing sounds perfect, except for the minor fact that we don't have an Android phone! (Or any smartphone. Yes, we're holdouts.)

We have Chess Titans on the adult laptop (kids are banned from it because it's new and shiny) but not on the desktop, which is running XP.
Posted By: ultramarina Re: Resources to self-teach chess? - 04/10/12 07:41 PM
Ah, just found this--will have to try it: http://www.kidchess.com/kceasychess.htm
Posted By: amom Re: Resources to self-teach chess? - 04/15/12 06:18 PM
any suggestions on chess apps for ipad, for beginners

thanks
amom
Posted By: mom77 Re: Resources to self-teach chess? - 04/15/12 07:38 PM
"Geek kids chess" on the app store.
Posted By: daytripper75 Re: Resources to self-teach chess? - 04/16/12 01:23 AM
Originally Posted by modbl
Try this "No Stress Chess" on Amazon. It has very good reviews.

http://www.amazon.com/Winning-Moves...-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1330982134&sr=1-1

This is what we have and love it! I like that it isn't electronic, it keeps chess as chess. smile
Posted By: Iucounu Re: Resources to self-teach chess? - 06/07/12 11:22 AM
How's it going with the chess, staceyshoe?
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum