Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: jojo Definitive guide on Singapore Maths - 01/14/12 02:12 PM
Sorry to ask this question again but I've only paid really scant attention to it before. But now it's become a real option. I didn't get DD10's application into a gifted maths program in on time and now they have no vacancies (!) which means that I'm running maths club again this year. I feel completely out of my depth. After much advice, we're going to go down the Singapore Maths route but where to start? For newbies and seasoned users, where did you start? Which resources were most useful? Was there an online course that you found most useful? Any major pitfalls to avoid?

Please share your wisdom. I feel completely lost as to where to start...

jojo
Posted By: Iucounu Re: Definitive guide on Singapore Maths - 01/14/12 04:24 PM
We bought the following. There is a set of materials for each half-year; for example, there is a 2A HIG/TG, textbook, and workbook to cover the first half of second grade.

1. Home Instructor's Guide (HIG). This is similar to the Teacher's Guide (TG), but more focused on teaching a single student than an entire classroom at a time, and it's cheaper. It contains lessons, interspersed with enrichment activities. This or the TG should be all the guide you need.

2. Textbook. This contains enough teaching at the start of each section that we don't use the HIG as much as we expected, just checking it to make sure we're not missing out on something important. Each one is about 150 pages.

3. Workbook. This contains extra practice problems, and we initially never even cracked it open since our son tends to chafe at too much drill, and since Singapore revisits learned calculations and concepts often in review sections in the textbook. Upon looking at one recently, it isn't just drill-and-kill; the format is varied, and some of the problems are in puzzle-like formats.

3. Challenging Word Problems / Intensive Practice. Extra word problems, etc. We pick some problems from these.

If I had to pick one type of SM resource to skip for our son, since he picks things up fairly quickly and I have a head for teaching elementary math, it'd be the workbooks; after that, the teacher's guide.

We bought the Standards Edition (translate to: "California educational standards edition"), which is similar to the U.S. Edition but has earlier and more treatment of some subjects.

We ordered a few years' worth at a time from christianbook.com . We are non-religious but like this website, since it has good prices and excellent service. If you get your order over $100, shipping is free, and when I last shopped they had the lowest prices on the Standards Edition materials.
Posted By: aculady Re: Definitive guide on Singapore Maths - 01/14/12 07:22 PM
You may want to check out the resources from the Math Olympiad program, too.
Posted By: jojo Re: Definitive guide on Singapore Maths - 01/15/12 11:55 PM
Oh how I wish I could buy a maths fairy!! I didn't get DD's application in on time for an afterschool gifted maths program and I can't find any other options for Term 1 *groan* The prospect of taking on Singapore Maths doesn't thrill me. Thanks for the advice. I shall scan all of the workbooks, textbooks and guides and get back to you with any other specific questions...

jojo
Posted By: jojo Re: Definitive guide on Singapore Maths - 01/18/12 01:05 AM
Anyone know of any other cheap book sites? I think I'm looking for 5A textbook and 5A workbook. I'll check ebay now...

jojo
Posted By: Chrys Re: Definitive guide on Singapore Maths - 01/18/12 01:45 AM
I have a 6b if you want it.
Posted By: jojo Re: Definitive guide on Singapore Maths - 01/19/12 10:08 PM
Thanks for the offer Chrys. I'll find the 5A series first and see if it's going to work. I might get back to you if we stick with it. Cheers, jojo
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum