Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: Raddy History - 01/08/12 07:00 PM
Well - we start the homeschooling tomorrow. For soem reason I've become fixated on history, and am amazed there is not a lot on European history (unless it deals with Hitler/Nazis)

So, glaad to find this site for anyone who may be in a similar position. Gives a brief discourse on the history and links it to the geographjy.

The Map As History

Still appreciate any other DVD recommendations for 1st Republic France, Revolutions of 1848, Industrial Revolution.....
Posted By: Beckee Re: History - 01/08/12 07:58 PM
I teach middle school world history.

My state subscribes to Discovery Education's video streaming service (so many videos, so little time...). You might check them out, but I don't know what kind of terms they have for individual subscribers. I do like that they have their users rate videos, so you can see which ones other teachers have found useful.

Also, Carus/Cobblestone publishes magazines (Appleseeds, Calliope, Cobblestone) with no ads, volume and issue numbers like grown-up scholarly journals, lots of photographs, and interesting articles on history. You can subscribe, buy back issues (I just sent in another $300 purchase order for my classroom),

http://www.cobblestonepub.com/books/world+history/

or subscribe to their entire text archive at cobblestoneonline.net for about $30. I went ahead and bought a subscription for the entire school to use, which cost about $125.

My class ends with Pizarro meeting the Inca, so I'm not as familiar with resources about more recent history.
Posted By: aculady Re: History - 01/08/12 09:23 PM
Some other things you might want to check out:

Spatacus Educational

Hyperhistory

BBC History

Best History Sites

Annenberg Media

Academic Earth history courses

Free history resources
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum