Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: Bostonian What magazines do your children read? - 12/14/11 04:19 PM
My 8yo boy likes Discover magazine (science for a general audience) and Boy's Life.
Posted By: DeHe Re: What magazines do your children read? - 12/14/11 04:25 PM
DS 5 gets Highlights, Highlights Top Secret (which isn't exactly a magazine) and Lego Jr.

Was thinking about Muse or Odyssey but haven't gotten around to it

DeHe
Posted By: Mamabear Re: What magazines do your children read? - 12/14/11 04:31 PM
National Geographic Kids, Muse, Zoo book, Our local zoo magazine, Science Today and American Girl.
Posted By: BigBadWool Re: What magazines do your children read? - 12/14/11 04:38 PM
DS is 6yo and gets spider, click, ask, national geo kids and lego/lego jr.
My DD reads all the New Yorker cartoons every week, asking for clarification on many. She also tries to come up with a caption for the cartoon contest every week! She reads my Martha Stewart Living and old Crickets. We liked Zoobooks pretty well.
Oh, and we get Nat Geo Kids, but neither of us are enthused about it.
Posted By: amylou Re: What magazines do your children read? - 12/14/11 06:16 PM
11yo twins read: New Moon Girls (written BY girls for girls) and New Scientist.
Posted By: kiwi Re: What magazines do your children read? - 12/14/11 07:10 PM
National Geographic Kids, Owl, Lego Club and something called Wacky but True, which I think is from Australia. Also anything they find round the house that happens to have a crossword or sudoku in it.
Posted By: polarbear Re: What magazines do your children read? - 12/14/11 07:16 PM
Thanks for posting this thread - there are several magazines on here I'd never heard of and am going to look into for my gang smile

FWIW my ds11 likes Scientific American, Popular Science, Discover, and Imagine (through CTY). He also likes Boys Life (Boy Scouts mag). And... perhaps not terribly intellectually stimulating, but fwiw he also likes This Old House and Dwell smile

We just got our first copy of a magazine that's new to us yesterday, so the kids haven't had a chance to look at it yet, but it looks interesting to me (which is why I ordered it lol!), and I think will be interesting to my dd7 - Calliope, Exploring World History.

polarbear
Posted By: DeHe Re: What magazines do your children read? - 12/14/11 07:17 PM
Originally Posted by ultramarina
Oh, and we get Nat Geo Kids, but neither of us are enthused about it.

we had it as well as were also disappointed - it felt like a commercial - although sometimes there was some really good things in it, it just wasn't consistent.
Posted By: gomommago Re: What magazines do your children read? - 12/14/11 09:26 PM
Lego Club, scans Scientific American (likes graphics-heavy articles), Sports Illustrated Kids.
Posted By: aculady Re: What magazines do your children read? - 12/15/11 02:53 AM
DS 14 reads National Geographic, Discover, Smithsonian, Time, The Economist, The Atlantic...subscription renewals were #1 item on his birthday gift request list. He's been reading all of these for years.
Posted By: BWBShari Re: What magazines do your children read? - 12/15/11 03:59 AM
Discover and National Geographic
Posted By: Beckee Re: What magazines do your children read? - 12/15/11 04:18 AM
My students read a bunch of Calliope and other Carus Publishing magazines in our 6th grade world history class. They make it easy for kids to do research projects, especially since my school subscribes to the online archive of all their magazines. No pictures in the archive, unfortunately...
Posted By: Speechie Re: What magazines do your children read? - 12/28/11 10:24 PM
DS 4 loves PuzzleBuzz magazines- part of the Highlights group- mazes, visual puzzles, word search, etc.
DD9 loves Discovery Girls magazine.
DS3 loves Trains4kids and Thomas the Train magazines
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum