Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: DeeDee SIG camps - 12/07/11 08:41 PM
Who's been to SIG summer programs (residential or day camp)? Was it a good experience?

DeeDee
Posted By: ch64 Re: SIG camps - 12/08/11 06:00 PM
In our experience, the class content and pace were not challenging. It was OK, but DD was not interested in attending again. She was 10 and attended the day camp.
Posted By: polarbear Re: SIG camps - 12/08/11 06:11 PM
We haven't been, but we were told by one of our school district's G&T staff teachers that her daughter had attended residential SIG camp during middle school and that she came back home very energized by the friendships she'd made. I don't think she was impressed with the coursework (she didn't really even mention it), just that in her opinion her dd having the chance to spend the week (or whatever time frame it was) with intellectual peers at that particular age was really really beneficial - for her dd - and that the friendships she made endured because they were able to come back home to their wildly different locations and keep in touch via email/skype/etc.

Also note that this was a district G&T teacher, who's dd was in our district's G&T program. It took all my best effort to restrain from asking her "Oh, so your dd didn't find intellectual peers in our district's G&T program? What's up with that?" Sorry, I clearly have issues with our district - lol!

polarbear

© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum