Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: NCPMom Latin - 11/02/11 04:04 PM
At ds8's conference last night, his teacher was open to the suggestion of him learning Latin - she said if we could find a book he could work from in class, that would be fine. So - any suggestions ? This one has good reviews - http://www.amazon.com/Getting-Start...t/dp/0979505100/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

- anyone used it ? I'm lookng for something he could use by himself in the classroom. Thanks !
Posted By: Terrilth Re: Latin - 11/06/11 09:54 PM
I have heard great things about Prima Latina. I've seen the curriculum and it looks very easy to begin with. Could he utilize the cd that comes with it while he's in class?
Posted By: Staceyshoe Re: Latin - 11/10/11 01:21 PM
We use a combination of Getting Started with Latin, Song School Latin (designed for younger kids), and Classical Conversations (our homeschool co-op program). Of those, GSWL is definitely my son's favorite. It's black-and-white, no frills--which usually does not appeal to him at all. I think he loves it because it gets into the "logic" of grammar syntax and translation. I think it's a great program.

That said, I'm not sure how it would work as an independent program unless he's highly motivated. Each page has a very short lesson and then several translation exercises with the answers to the translations in the back. If he's an independent learner who is motivated, he could certainly do the translations before peaking. If peaking at the answers would be an issue, then I don't think this is the right program.
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum