Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: squirt Keyboarding - 04/25/08 02:26 PM
Any recommended keyboarding (teaching kids to type) programs? Thanks.
Posted By: Ania Re: Keyboarding - 04/25/08 02:38 PM
My daughter's class uses an online software, I believe. I will ask her tonight when she gets back from school and will post it here.
Her (DD) speed has been increasing steadily. She is somewhere in the 60+ or 70+ wpm aree (I think?)

When kids were little, we used Jumpstart Keyboarding.
I don't know if it was good, like with all of the games the novelty wears off after a while. But I really liked Jumpstart series for everything, so I might be biased. Do they still have it around?
Posted By: LMom Re: Keyboarding - 04/25/08 06:13 PM
What is a good age to start learning proper keyboarding? DS5 used to type a lot on the computer (now he mostly writes) but he uses only one or two fingers. I would like him to learn how to type correctly, but I don't want to start before he is ready.
Posted By: Texas Summer Re: Keyboarding - 04/27/08 03:34 AM
Just about any kids' typing program is adequate. What made the difference for us was that I took the tests for my dd. I started her on the typing program at 6 but she would get frustrated because she could not type fast enough to pass the tests. Once I started taking the tests for her she zoomed through the program. She is a relatively accurate typist though still not extremely fast. Typing has improved her writing (composing) tremendously.
Posted By: OHGrandma Re: Keyboarding - 04/27/08 04:06 AM
kcab, thanks for that recommendation, GS8 has been playing with it every chance he's had since you posted that link.
Posted By: doodlebug Re: Keyboarding - 04/27/08 12:25 PM
My son has used a program called "Roller Racer" He likes the game aspect of how your typing controls the roller skater.

The old Mavis Beacon is still a classic and gets the job done, just might not hold the interest of a child.

Amazon has lots of different programs, some that specify kids. The Jumpstart program is there. So is a SpongeBob SquarePants based program. Something for everyone, I guess! hmmm...maybe I'll go grab that spongebob one for MrWiggly.....he does love anything that's fun!
Posted By: incogneato Re: Keyboarding - 04/28/08 05:42 PM
Kcab Thank you thank you thank you! For posting the link to that typing program. DD5 really liked it. She is sitting here reading this with me. She said she likes it because it's fun. She's also telling my right now: It will help me keep my thoughts connected. She gets very frustrated with the physical writing.

smile
Posted By: Kriston Re: Keyboarding - 04/28/08 08:05 PM
I tried the program out and improved my ability to type without looking at my fingers. (I'm fast, but because I am always composing at the keyboard rather than transcribing, I look at my fingers.)

I'm going to use Dance Mat with DS6, and I may use it, too! Kudos, kcab! Thanks for sharing!!!
Posted By: LMom Re: Keyboarding - 05/01/08 01:59 AM
Thank you for the link, kcab! DS5 played it yesterday and today for almost an hour. He likes it and didn't even complained that it was too difficult.

Thanks again.
Posted By: bk1 Re: Keyboarding - 05/01/08 02:13 AM
kcab, thanks for the link to dancemat. DS9, with major handwriting issues, tried it over the weekend and liked it.
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum