Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: st pauli girl Looking for good hobbit-like riddles - 04/13/08 03:56 AM
I've been reading the Hobbit to DS4, and he loved the riddle contest between Gollum and Bilbo. He actually guessed the first one (i'm so proud!). It was fun to hear his thoughts on all the riddles. Anyway, I'm looking for some similar kinds of riddles. I did a quick look and found mostly dumb joke type riddle books, so thought i'd check here. Any ideas?
Posted By: Kriston Re: Looking for good hobbit-like riddles - 04/13/08 03:21 PM
The Norse considered literary prowess (including writing riddles well) to be as important as physical prowess. You might find the riddles at the bottom of this page to be of interest--scroll down past the games:

http://www.regia.org/games.htm

There are probably more like these out there, if that works for you.

K-
Cool - thanks! Just the sort of thing i'm looking for. Some of these are quite tricksy, though. wink
Posted By: Kriston Re: Looking for good hobbit-like riddles - 04/14/08 12:36 AM
Oh, yes! If DS4 likes them, have him write his own. I had my GT Viking class do this, and some of their riddles were quite impressive. One mom actually doubted that her daughter actually wrote the riddle she wrote, since it involved a double-meaning that seemed too advanced for her. But it was all hers!

If your DS likes to read them, he'd probably enjoy composing them (orally if he's not a good handwriter yet).

Gotta' love those Vikings! smile
I will definitely try that with DS. He's quite uninterested in writing, so we'll go oral.

Yay, Go Vikes! smile (We Minnesotans are brought up to be good Vikings fans, but that usually doesn't go any further than wearing funny helmets and drinking lots of beer...)
Posted By: Kriston Re: Looking for good hobbit-like riddles - 04/14/08 12:51 PM
LOL! Real Vikings didn't have horns or wings or any other funny things on their helmets. They did like their beer though...
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum