Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: green valley New Life of Fred books - 06/29/11 05:14 PM
Great news for all the LoF fans: you can now order 4 new books in the series that go BEFORE LoF: Fractions. Here is the link for ordering: new LoF books. Look for the titles Apples, Butterflies, Cats and Dogs. You can preview some pages and the tables of contents by clicking on the titles.

Now for the-not-so-great news: they currently accept the orders but the new books will be shipped no earlier than the end of July, they do not have them in stock yet. Still, I am pretty excited to have the LoF books for my younger kids.
Posted By: Iucounu Re: New Life of Fred books - 06/29/11 05:55 PM
That's wonderful.
Posted By: MidwestMom Re: New Life of Fred books - 06/29/11 06:09 PM
I'm bummed that both of my girls are beyond that now - they would have been great six years ago.
Posted By: herenow Re: New Life of Fred books - 06/29/11 08:04 PM
shhhh. My older dd, who "hates" math, just sat down as I was looking at these books and started reading over my shoulder. She loved what she saw on the samples provided. Laughing out loud. In my most nonchalant voice, I asked if she thought it would be fun to get "a few" of these. "Yeah"....
Score!!
Thanks everyone!
Posted By: Sweetie Re: New Life of Fred books - 06/30/11 01:20 AM
Oh wow perfect for ds entering first grade next year... I bet he will love these and fly through them.
Posted By: MumOfThree Re: New Life of Fred books - 06/30/11 02:27 AM
Oh thanks for this!
Posted By: st pauli girl Re: New Life of Fred books - 06/30/11 09:36 PM
Very cool. My DS7 loves Fred. Just curious if anyone's school has used Fred as part of their curriculum? I'm forwarding info to my son's school....
Posted By: nkh74 Re: New Life of Fred books - 07/01/11 05:47 AM
Anyone have an idea of how the new books correlate to grade level?
Posted By: Sweetie Re: New Life of Fred books - 07/01/11 02:03 PM
Well time to the hour is k/1 skill...so I am thinking the first one is k/1 but some kids aren't reading in k so not as an independent book. Then one per year after that?

I can't tell because I see my son doing the first two this year in first and the next two the following year. And then doing fractions in third. He may not go so fast but he might.
Posted By: laura0896 Re: New Life of Fred books - 07/08/11 08:44 PM
my son just said he didn't want to try this series because he didn't like the name fred.

really?
Posted By: Bostonian Re: New Life of Fred books - 07/08/11 09:10 PM
Originally Posted by st pauli girl
Very cool. My DS7 loves Fred. Just curious if anyone's school has used Fred as part of their curriculum? I'm forwarding info to my son's school....

School administrators are risk-averse, and it would be to easy for the members of the general public to mock them for adopting LoF. Under ANY curriculum, some children will do poorly in math. Some parents of such kids would blame the schools for using "silly" textbooks.

I have purchased several LoF books for my 7yo boy but use EPGY, Singapore Math, and AOPS primarily. If the schools listened to me (they don't!) I would recommend Singapore Math.

A more realistic goal than having a school system adopt LoF as a textbook is to have the public library and/or school library order some LoF books.
Posted By: st pauli girl Re: New Life of Fred books - 07/08/11 09:28 PM
I guess I wasn't envisioning using LOF as *the* textbook, just as part of the math class. As "enrichment" perhaps, but a meaningful enrichment. smile
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum