Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: Oakmaiden Maths - 02/04/11 08:57 PM
OK - so wondered if anyone had any suggestions here.

My daughter is not particularly ahead of her class at maths, although she quickly masters any new subject her class cover. I don't really WANT her to be ahead of her class, but also don't want her to get bored...

So I wondered if I should try to find some sort of enrichment programme for her - something that won't teach her new maths facts, but will encourage her to use what she already knows more creatively. However, I want to do this without spending a fortune - we can't afford the tutoring type programmes, but could probably afford some sort of package with a one-off payment.... Alternatively I would be quite happy to try to put something together myself, but really have no idea what sort of thing I should do with her....

Anyone got any ideas?
Posted By: ColinsMum Re: Maths - 02/04/11 10:50 PM
The easiest thing is books - does she already have recreational maths books? There are some threads around here about various ones. My DS adores all the Murderous Maths books (some parents of girls consider them too boy-humoured, but I also know girls who like them); The Number Devil and the Adventures of Penrose are also worth looking at.

Alcumus is free and fantastic, but if she's 7 and not particularly ahead that's probably a recommendation for in a little while rather than for now, though.

There are quite a few good websites, of which the most obvious for your DD right now is probably nrich.

Any kind of logic puzzle, sudoku etc...
Posted By: erich Re: Maths - 02/22/11 07:17 PM
Alcumus is great, a big boost for math learning. DS8 loves it so much. There is also a online math community for middle schoolers at AoPS website. Don't forget to watch the short videos from Richard Rusczyk. DS8 rated him as his best teacher.
Posted By: onthegomom Re: Maths - 02/22/11 09:11 PM
also check out mindware.com for Math workbooks. You can print out some sample pages to see what her interts her. I have seen these cheaper on Amazon, but less selection.
Posted By: MamaJA Re: Maths - 02/22/11 09:30 PM
We love Singapore Math:

http://www.singaporemath.com/Primary_Mathematics_Stds_Ed_s/134.htm

© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum